• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Analysis

dirtfarmer629

Recruit
Reaction score
My oil analysis for my 93 6.5. First oil change with the synthetic and using a carquest oil filter. Any input is appreciated. sorry for poor picture quality if you cant read something just say and i will post it up.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 44
I can't read it very well, but you would think that the test provider would have their own comments or recommendations.

Unfortunately, I cannot see either.

Can you convert it to PDF instead of picture?

Go to PDFill.com to get a PDF printer driver if you don't have one.
You can open the file, print it using the driver.

If you really needs an answer, post it at BITOG, there is a section for Diesel UOA.
There are a lot of expert there to help you see anomalies.

I'd read that coking in the shared turbo oil supply line was an issue in our engines when trying to extend time between changes. Any truth to that?

Tookie, that is quite funny and - if you like toying with hypochondriacs - cruel. I'm currently being entertained by a Harley website thread where people are so desperate to get every last drop of that "bad" oil that they'll run their engine with no oil pressure having pumped it dry. Well, what's the oil for in the first place?

Anyway, I'll be watching your posts with enthusiasm.

Tookie, that is quite funny and - if you like toying with hypochondriacs - cruel. I'm currently being entertained by a Harley website thread where people are so desperate to get every last drop of that "bad" oil that they'll run their engine with no oil pressure having pumped it dry. Well, what's the oil for in the first place?

Anyway, I'll be watching your posts with enthusiasm.
That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If they want to do get it all out, why don't they just drain it and put in a couple quarts of cheap oil to "flush" out the evil dirty oil and drain again?

they'll run their engine with no oil pressure having pumped it dry

:eek:ut: Also a superior way to find bad bearings, rings, and oil pumps.

I sometimes feel like putting on my suit (honest - I have one) when I go riding. Hey - They try to dress like me when they ride.

Those same idiots will be raising hell come spring cause that POS Harley already needs a rebuild and it only has 732 miles on it and they've changed the oil twice. :mad2:

They recommend changing the oil and filter.

I recommend changing your oil analysis vendor.

What is the point of sending off the sample if THEY can't tell you what the oil is telling them (other than "change your oil and filter then send us some more oil and money")?

I particularly do not like the fact that they seemed to have skipped the TBN and TAN numbers for your analysis. IMHO these values, together will the wear metal numbers, will tell you if your oil needs changed or if there is something wrong (or, of course, the presence of coolant in the oil). IF there is something "wrong" your oil analyst should tell you!!!!

Next time, send the oil to Blackstone Labs. Go to their website and look and some of their sample Oil Analysis reports...

Check out an explanation of the wear metals and other oil components here...

Regards,

Last edited:
Please look at the question that the originator of this thread asked in Post #2.

Charges or not, he needs to know the current TBN along with wear metals, et al, to get a complete picture of his oil life.

Also, at least Blackstone offers more than just throwing numbers at you then telling you to change your oil...

Regards,

I can't disagree with Goldsburg, you can call and talk to a person who will walk you through your analysis results when you've recieved the results from Amsoil's Oil Analysis, provided by Oil Analyzers Inc. It includes the following:

Testing Package for Automotive/Light Truck (Engine Oil)

Spectrographic Analysis Reported in Parts Per Million (PPM)

Wear Metals:

Iron, Chromium, Lead, Copper, Aluminum, Nickel, Silver, Titanium

Contaminants:

Aluma/Silica (dirt), Potassium, Sodium, Water, Soot (Diesel), Solids (Gasoline)

Engine Oil Additives:

Boron, Magnesium, Calcium, Barium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Molybdenum

Physical Properties:

Viscosity @ 100⁰C cSt, Coolant Fuel %

Additional Tests (also included)

TBN (Base Number), Oxidation, Nitration, Graphical Analysis ( 3 or more consecutive tests)

Analysis Recommendations (Based on test results and condemning limits)

I can't disagree with Goldsburg, you can call and talk to a person who will walk you through your analysis results when you've recieved the results from Amsoil's Oil Analysis, provided by Oil Analyzers Inc. It includes the following:

Testing Package for Automotive/Light Truck (Engine Oil)

Spectrographic Analysis Reported in Parts Per Million (PPM)

Wear Metals:

Iron, Chromium, Lead, Copper, Aluminum, Nickel, Silver, Titanium

Contaminants:

Aluma/Silica (dirt), Potassium, Sodium, Water, Soot (Diesel), Solids (Gasoline)

Engine Oil Additives:

Boron, Magnesium, Calcium, Barium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Molybdenum

Physical Properties:

Viscosity @ 100⁰C cSt, Coolant Fuel %

Additional Tests (also included)

TBN (Base Number), Oxidation, Nitration, Graphical Analysis ( 3 or more consecutive tests)

Analysis Recommendations (Based on test results and condemning limits)

Wrecker -

Thanks for the details on Amsoil's service. I wasn't aware that they even had such a service.

As you said, you need the whole picture regardless of who gives it to you and some useful professional interpretation of those results should be included.

Regards,

Well i cant really complain about the oil analysis seeing as it was free. Next time i might go elsewhere and pay to have it done thanks for the heads up Wrecker and Golds.

Back