• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ohms

Ohms has to do with the voice coil. Most amps only push 2 unless you pay top dollar. The higher the ohms the better the sound. Im not the engineer so I can't go into full detail, but thats the jist of it

its been a while since I have had my basic electricity classes but heres how I understand it. lets consider subs. you have one amplifier and 2 subs. the amplifier is rated for 500 watts at 2 ohms( usually when they advertise they are talking peak power when bridged not RMS or unbridged) so you take your 2 subs and wire them to 2 different channels if your speakers are rated at 4 ohms each you will send about 125 watts of power to each speaker for a total of about 250 watts.now if you bridge the amp and run the speakers in parallel you drop the resistance in half which is now 2 ohms which will roughly double the power output. so now you would have 250 watts to each speaker giving you the 500 watt power rating. or if you had 2 , 2 ohm speakers you could drop your resistance ( ohms) to 1 or possibly lower depending on the arrangement and amplifier capabilitys. unfortunately i'm not god with drawing schematics and posting them so I cant make a picture that would hlp make it clearer.

ohms are resistance.

Basically the lower the ohms, the louder (typically) but also it becomes easier to fry stuff.

My Bass Guitar amp runs 1600watts mono bridged at 4ohms or ??? bridged at 8 ohms. I run the ??? bridged because I run two cabinets each with 4 10" speakers and an adjustable horn in each. Each Cabinet is rated at 8ohms and have a peak power output of 1000watts each.

All together it is loud, but not the loudest out there even though it is currently the most powerful bass guitar amplifier available. It is the clarity at all sound levels, I can crank it up and still have good sounding lines.

I used to know a lot about this stuff but I quit playing for nearly a year after playing for 4 years striaght. and im just getting back into it again.

For those who want to know my setup Ill post it in the off topic section.

Back