• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 shifter tower

nick94

Reaction score
I found a 1996 truck with NV4500, unfortunatelly, someone took the shifter tower. are all shifter tower interchangable? is it difficult to replace the shifter back into the tranny? any help would be welcomed. Also, do you have any schematics on how to remove and replace the shift tower?

Not sure of all the years but my 97 (would think 96 is same) just unbolts (4) bolts. A knob/ball with flat sides fits into the shifter fork mechanism and you line up the bolt pattern bolt it on seems to only go in one way. It suggests putting transmission in 3rd gear and removing it but as long as no one has been inside the case or pulled a shaft out ect you can just install the tower in what ever gear and wiggle it and shift as needed to get bolt pattern to line up. The gasket is a thick hard rubber with hard plastic bottom and (4) spacers to keep from over tightening it down. The shop suggested putting a little RTV under the hard part of gasket that mates with transmission metal.

The transmission shop that just rebuilt mine put a new rubber cover on mine and put a little grease on it. At 225K miles he said it was still fine. Might look at ebay for a used one????

There are a few year breaks different ratios I think listed on quad4x4 dot com and slight differences in GM vs Dodge. I'd get a GM one in the years of the breaks listed on quad4x4.

If you check my NV4500 threads you should find your answers. The shift towers are interchangeable and the removable shift tower makes installing the transmission a little easier

You can try Blumenthals in Oklahoma City, they are one the largest distributors. I got all of my rebuild parts from them but not sure if they have shift towers.

Source Unknown

Not sure of all the years but my 97 (would think 96 is same) just unbolts (4) bolts. A knob/ball with flat sides fits into the shifter fork mechanism and you line up the bolt pattern bolt it on seems to only go in one way. It suggests putting transmission in 3rd gear and removing it but as long as no one has been inside the case or pulled a shaft out ect you can just install the tower in what ever gear and wiggle it and shift as needed to get bolt pattern to line up. The gasket is a thick hard rubber with hard plastic bottom and (4) spacers to keep from over tightening it down. The shop suggested putting a little RTV under the hard part of gasket that mates with transmission metal.

The transmission shop that just rebuilt mine put a new rubber cover on mine and put a little grease on it. At 225K miles he said it was still fine. Might look at ebay for a used one????

Thank you for the feedback. Have a great day!

Update on the NV4500. I went to the junk yard and was able to remove the driveshatfs and tranny. The donor truck was a c3500 single wheel LWB. I noticed the engine and transmissions had red plastic plugs on the engine oil oil pan and on the side of the one of the PTO cover. I will check the plugs later.

Now the only thing missing is the shifter tower. According to the id chart from Advance Adaptesr out of California This transmission is a his transmission is 1995 GMT-455.

Do any of you know what MGT-455 stands for?

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for the previous posting. The transmission is going to be a better tranny than the get rag 290 I was planning to install.

I

Back