• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 + NP241 what oil/lube?

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Ok, so with the purchase of the NV4500, I realize it needs filled with 75W85 GL-4 Synthetic Gear Oil. I'm trying to determine what the NP241 being hooked to it is to be filled with....

Currently, my 700R4/NP241 combo are both filled with ATF.
The parts truck NV4500/NP241 combo were both filled with a gear lube (not sure WHAT gear lube, but gear lube none-the-less)

Just trying to cover my bases on this. Anyone with a manual and NP241 have input? I'm pretty sure the t-case will still be running ATF (as that is all i've heard NP241s running) but the gear-lube in the parts truck case made me think twice.

if you go to the AMSOIL site and on the upper right hand corner click on the "auto and light trucks". Fill in your info for the model of truck the parts came out of and you will be good to go on your info.

The NV4500 takes this;

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=MTGQT-EA

Per their site a 1993 K3500 4X4 uses auto trans fluid in the transfer case.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I put the info in and double checked the config the parts truck was, sounds like my inital assumption was correct.

Just seeing that gear lube in the t-case made me wonder.

the gear lube for the trans is expensive from the dealer.

I plan on going threw the AMSOIL dealer on here to hopefully save a couple of bucks.):h

interesting that your 241 had gear oil in it. both Np208s i have had ATF in them. Maybe someone put the wrong lubricant in?

Yeah, i'm assuming so. Alot of people think that since it's a transfercase it takes gearlube, since so many old gear driven cases did.

I remember when my Dad and I first changed teh transfercase in my 88 way back when. He was expecting gear lube and was astonished that there was ATF in there.

Back