• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 2wd to 4wd conversion, Tanner, GM Guy, anyone...and other questions.

83GMCK2500

Reaction score
I have a 2wd NV4500 removed from a '93 C3500 SRW truck, and I will be putting it in my '83. I am trying to figure out what all parts I will need to convert it to a 4WD version. I have the rear housing and the mainshaft. I am trying to find a balancer for the mainshaft that does not cost an arm and a leg.

I read on here that the Quad4x4 manual is recommended and Blumenthal's for parts. Anybody else known to sell quality (affordable) parts?

What all upgrades or revisions can I perform to this early transmission?

to convert, sadly I think requires the trans to be tore down and have the mainshaft swapped.

quad 4x4 will sell quality parts, but charges plenty. they do have some new dampers in stock though.

I assume you want the 6.34 1st and reverse gears? if not, starting in 1995 (or late 94) they went to 5.61 1st and reverse.

I assume you want to stay with the 92-95 chevy specific external slave cylinder transmission? 96-07 internal slave was same as dodge on the bellhousing to trans. bolt pattern. still chevy bellhousing pattern of course.

I do have a 4x4 transmission out of a 92 that i would trade (unknown condition, but was pulled out of a truck with a blown 6.5L) or there is a local 1995 4x4 version for sale for 500. I also have a rebuilt old stock (with very slight surface rust, missing rear housing) 92-95 NV4500 4wd. can take all to S.C. idaho.

check e-bay, there are some 93 4x4 units in SLC.

basically the biggies are the gear changes, and the bellhousing to trans bolt pattern change.

the one thing that you can change is to upgrade to the late, late 94/95+ top shifter cover. IMO, much smoother precise shifts than the 92-early 94 top cover (but hte 92-94 isnt a slouch either, still fine), and the newer cover has a removable shifter stub for easier install.

I already have the '93 unit, it is just 2WD which does not work for me. I should have the mainshaft here beginning of the week, and like I said I already have the tailhousing...I should've mentioned this sooner if you are open to a trade.

I don't mind disassembling it to swap mainshafts, I had intended on disassembling it so everything could be looked over. I have driven both a '92 and a '99, I must say the '99 was nicer shifting. Will the early stick and knob thread onto the later stub? I do not care for the one-piece molded shifter on the later style.

I was after the lower first gear and the external slave. I may end up going with the Advance Adapters bellhousing, we'll see. My OEM bellhousing is cracked, pretty bad.

As Gm guy stated, you have to swap main shafts. Good time for new synchro's from Blumenthals. The early 90's are a bit harsher shifting, never been inside a late nv4500 so I'm not sure if the top covers swap and if it would make a difference, they SHOULD be interchangeable. Shifter shafts can be swapped too.

After I installed new synchro's my shifts were ALOT nicer in my earlier trannies.

Sent from: Source Unknown

tanner brings up a good point. no guarantees that the newer cover will swap. there shouldnt be a reason not, but there could be differences unknown.

Keep in mind tanner is the only one out of us that has actually re-built one, I just buy them. :D

as far as lever swaps, I think quad4x4 may sell a adapter. the 95+ stick only looks good in GMT400 and up, I agree, need to get the old stick in to make it look good.

I saw a truck with a hurst handle on the NV4500, in fact it showed up on auction again. owner no-saled it. judging by the town the auction was in, I hope he still had the hurst handle at the end of the day.

Thank you guys. Looks like I will be buying that book from Quad4x4, they want a penny or two for it. Wish there was a GM Service Manual for it instead, oh well.

there is a fancy tool kit, search "NVG 4500" on e-bay, there is a few for sale. I bet they dont sale because they are listed under NVG, rather than just NV.

I think only the 5th gear nut socket is the only one completely necessary, otherwise everything else is just nice.

I'll let tanner say what he needed for specialty tools to make sure it was just the socket.

I made a hammer and punch work on the first one because my socket didn't make it.

I have a manual, it's pretty greasy but I think all of the pages are there. I'd send it to you for shipping costs. If I find where I hid my socket you can borrow it too.

Sent from: Source Unknown

Back