• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV 4500 NP 241 Swap

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
My 94 Chevy 1 ton has an NV 4500 and I assume it has a 241 t-case but I have heard that it COULD be different.

I am buying a 91 chevy parts truck 6.5td (I assume it was swapped in) 3/4ton, 4x4, nv 4500, with a tired engine, no bed, no leaf springs.

Is there any reason the 91 parts wouldn't swap into my 94?

All Thoughts are welcome.

id imagine the truck would be a 92, if it is a NV4500 equipped truck, as well as the 6.5L TD. otherwise like you said, swap.

I take it you are buying the truck for future parts needs?

I would imagine it would work, but I know little about 4wd, so IDK what t-case input shaft differences there are, if any.

good luck!

id imagine the truck would be a 92, if it is a NV4500 equipped truck, as well as the 6.5L TD. otherwise like you said, swap.

I take it you are buying the truck for future parts needs?

I would imagine it would work, but I know little about 4wd, so IDK what t-case input shaft differences there are, if any.

good luck!

The owner swears its a 91, he bought a couple years ago with the 6.5 in it. I am also going to be changing my 94 to mech injection db2 as well as some other changes.

My 94 has >300,000 HARD miles on origional engine and heads so I'm expecting the worst when I tear it open, a spare engine might come in handy.

Anyone know if there is any difference in input shafts and what not?

The shafts are the same, but some early ones have a higher overdrive and 3rd gear, and lower creeper,also the later ones have a internal slave and a different bolt pattern on the front,not sure which year this was changed ,but I think its more like 98.

The shafts are the same, but some early ones have a higher overdrive and 3rd gear, and lower creeper,also the later ones have a internal slave and a different bolt pattern on the front,not sure which year this was changed ,but I think its more like 98.

the way I have it remembered, it was 92, 93, and some 94 that had the deeper first & reverse and the taller OD (I believe .73 on early ones, .75 on later) and some 94 and all 95 had the higher 1st & reversse, and the lesser OD, but were still external slave.

Then 96 came, and that brought the internal slave, with no other changes. Then I believe it was 98 they got an even faster 1st and Reverse, and then in 99 they synchronized the reverse gear.

I didn't realize there were so many changes done!

I am pretty sure my 94 has about the same creeper gear as an old 89 with sm465 had. I could walk beside them both while they idle.

If i were to get a rebuild kit for my tranny is there a kit with the low creeper that I should look for as well as a tall OD?

no NV4500 will match granny low in an SM465. I believe an SM465 has an unsynchronised 7 to 1 first gear, and the lowest NV4500 was 6.37, IIRC.

That is one thing the SM465 has, deep gearing!

no NV4500 will match granny low in an SM465. I believe an SM465 has an unsynchronised 7 to 1 first gear, and the lowest NV4500 was 6.37, IIRC.

7.01:1 in the SM-420, 6.55:1 in the SM-465. Two different ratios in the NV-4500, no idea what they are off the top of my head.

There may be other variables I just know they were close but that was 6 years ago. The truck w/ sm465 was 2 wheel drive and it might not of had 4.10's and the 94 might have been in 4 low+low gear and has 4.10's.

My old 89 could pull anything there is no doubt about it though. It had a built 350 too!

OK, direct copy from quad4x4.com, my trusted source for NV4500

1992-1994 transmissions had a wider gear ratio with 1st gear being 6.34-1. Starting in 1995, the 1st gear ratio was changed to 5.61-1.

1992-1998 models did not have a synchronized reverse gear. A synchronized reverse was introduced for the 1999 model year

1992-93 models had an interlock mechanism built into the 1-2 syncro to prevent high speed downshifts into 1st or second gear. This feature was dropped for 1994 according to our GM parts book, however we have found them on some 1994 transmissions.

1992-1995 transmissions had a bellhousing bolt pattern unique to GM. For 1996 and newer transmissions, GM uses the Dodge bolt pattern.

In 1997, New Venture changed the design of reverse gear from a dual plane to a single plane. The reverse gear ratio was changed from 5.61:1 to 5.04:1

Back