• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No More Smoke......what gives?

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
I have used Stanadyne Performance Formula almost from day one, and for the first years of the truck's life (about 8 years) I ran about 5-10% bio. Since the Bio is no longer available to me, (moved) over the last 1.5 years I have been also adding the Lubricity Formula. I also have a secondary pre-OEM Racor fuel filter, and no fuel in the oil. Having said all that, for the last 5 or 6 months my truck has had the smoke-at-idle issue with some surging on startup. So at 90,000 miles I figure I am gonna need injectors. The first thing I was advised to do was to start running some 2-stroke oil (courtesy The Truck Stop :thumbsup:), so I did, a quart the first fill up, then 16oz per fill-up for 3 more fill-ups, then another quart on fill-up #5. No improvement so I went back to the usual Performance Formula/Lubricity Formula cocktail every fill-up. Now all of a sudden (last couple of days) it's not smoking any more and the surging has decreased dramatically, but still there. What gives? Are there really Diesel-Land Elves who take pity on good diesel owners? Or, am I in the state of denial? What say you? :)

Coincidence with relation to some different fuel. I take it you have added pump diesel between 2 stroke and stanadyne fill ups. I am guessing you got a tank of marginal fuel that could have had low cetane??? With a lot of age on injectors it might make it more sensitive to fuel quality. Although 90K shouldn't be that old??? I know as my truck has aged fuel properties make more of a difference but I have 200K on OE IP and 80K on injectors and I guess I expect bugs and ghosts with my aged combo. At 90K miles not sure I would.

I would continue to run diesel additives with cetane improvers and see if it improves.

I don't know if this is pertenent but I was just on a 2500 mile trip last week to Colorado and back. I've run B5-B20 almost since day 1 and I went the whole trip with almost 100% #2 with no BIO available. I got a TON of black smoke on mild to heavy acceleration with the straight #2 and 8 oz PS Silver/ tank. It's cleared up now that I'm back on BIO blend.172k on stock injectors but remember it's an LBZ and not like LB7's.

I guess I should have said the smoke is light colored, not black like a big smoke tune.

One point that is interesting, I did buy fuel from a different station this last fill-up a quick mart no less. I have been buyng it from Kroger....points and all. No smoke on acceleration, just at idle.

I haven't used bio for a year and half now.

I wonder if I should go back to Kroger just to see if it smokes again...of course if it's smoking that;'s probably not good for the truck.

I would take a look at the balance rates of the injectors. If they are close to the limits I would suggest running some of this Lucas product through. It will also help out your FPR. On more than one occasion my balance rates have been off and I ran this stuff through and checked again and they were spot on perfect.

lucas.gif

I would take a look at the balance rates of the injectors. If they are close to the limits I would suggest running some of this Lucas product through. It will also help out your FPR. On more than one occasion my balance rates have been off and I ran this stuff through and checked again and they were spot on perfect.

View attachment 29843

I'll give it a try.

Back