• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Nicktane Fuel Filter setup

I will get my own lift pump set up but how would the nicktane and waterthe seperater work with that set up? Isn't the nicktane a prefilter as well?

I will get my own lift pump set up but how would the nicktane and waterthe seperater work with that set up? Isn't the nicktane a prefilter as well?

The Nicktane is a prefilter...2micron. it will save your factory filter to where you almost never have to change it... and IMO polishes the fuel...the factory filter is also a water separator which I don't think ever worked on my truck because I never got water out of it or ever got a WIF light in 12 years of ownership...so adding a water separator prior to the Nicktane would be a good idea...besides...adding a 30 micron water separating prefilter to the nicktane would essentially increase the life of the Nicktane as well as a assurance that water is not making it through...

the only reason I would keep the factory filter head on is for the primer pump...which if you have your lift pump pushing to your "prefilter" you wouldn't need the primer either...
one thing I might add...always make sure your lift pump is flow on fail...no sense in adding any stress to the factory cp3 if the lift pump fails and you don't know it...

Roughly how many miles were you getting on stock fuel filter with this set up? Just trying to do the math on any potential savings/expenses. I've put 50K on my truck (in <9 months) and had the filter plug to the point I could get over 3/4 throttle or tow after ~6-8K each time (trying to make the 10K interval recommended). I just want to know what i'm looking at with nearly 1/2 the normal intervals. I fill up at the 3 busiest stations in ~45 miles (1 cenex (american refinery and very good quality, my prefered station) and 2 conoco/phillip 66's) so fuel quality isnt much of an issue but I'm thinking HOT return fuel (heavy towing) and large quantities have something to do with it.

I have also never had a WIF problem on mine. Actually ran with no wires on the sensor for 20K when i first got the truck.

Just trying to cover all the basics before i invest in a whole new fuel system.

If i understand you correctly I could install the Nicktane post LP and other pre? (if plans change i can always retrofit to a 6.5)

I've gone over a year on the factory filter with the nicktane setup...and I only changed it cause I was worried if the media of the factory filter would eventually break down...I cut it open and it still looked new...

You could run the lift pump between the two filters if you wanted...but the only reason I suggest running it before both filters is the lift pump can fill the filters for you, so in theory...no priming needed.

Plus some lift pumps cannot be run dry...so while you are waiting for the filters to prime with the key on you could run the risk of killing your pump...of course if you keep the factory filter head you can always pump your butt off to prime them...

I never did run the 30 micron w.s. setup as a prefilter to the nicktane...it was to be a good addition to it though...On my build I knew I was going to eliminate the factory head, so I bought a prefilter/water separator to take the place of the factory head...I had a pair of Laing lift pumps and I was going to install the 30 mic and put one pump pre both filters and the other after both filters...the Airdog kept calling my name and $700 later I shelved that project and put the AirDogII 165 on the truck...

Back