• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Member from CT - upgrading a 95 Chevy K1500 5.7

rbaigs

Reaction score
Hi all, - Rob ( I'm a noob ) here from CT. Recently got my father's truck for my son - its a 95 chevy k1500 5.7l. Did some upgrades on it - had an exhaust leak so installed new headmen headers, a Holley aftermarket TBI, K&N cold air filter, performance ignition, dual exhaust ( ditched the catalytic converter - since the truck is older and no longer requires emissions. ( pic attached below ) along with a perf chip from Jett..

I do have a few questions - - I did have to advance the timing a bit - due to truck seemingly having a low throttle response. I also have a leak in the intake manifold and wanted to something performant. Any suggestions? can I ditch the EGR ? ( was considering the Edelbrock or a Holley ) - Edelbrock said something about a spacer? ( if the blades and ports don't match ) = anyone has experience with that? Lastly - any suggestion on what plugs to run? ( a bit warmer or colder? - since the exhaust seems richer ) - otherwise, the truck is super clean w/only 75k miles on it. Sat in the garage most of its life.

Oh, lastly - I assume this is not a Vortec motor? since I noticed that it has 12 bolts on the manifold 6 on each side.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

IMG_0837.jpg

Last edited:
Get a refund on the K&N air filter. (And is that a "Hot Underhood Air" intake kit as well? :yuck: ) You will get better results just running a gravel screen. At least a screen won't clog up while letting the same ring dusting and Idle Air Control fouling dirt by. The K&N will foul the Idle Air control to where the Idle RPM drops so low the engine starts and immediately stalls. Bluntly you are better off with the OEM intake and a "functional" paper air filter. K&N has let me down a couple times and one of those times was on a boat replacing a Flame Arrestor! (Aka Gravel screen.)

The EGR is used for knock control. Under certain conditions like extended high throttle, load, and higher outside dry air temps, the reduced backpressure from the exhaust changes you made can leave you with pinging you can hear on 87 octane - with a stock tune. I don't know if the Jet Chip requires 90+ Octane gas?

The heater hose connectors are the biggest PIA GM made from real Krap metal. There is no picking them up from the clean ends. Yeah they leak and then come out in more than one piece. The one on the WP isn't so bad because it's quicker to change the water pump than beat it out, but, the one in the rear intake is trouble. Check to see if it's the powdered metal GM Kraptastic original and plan on a day to beat it out and replace it before it starts leaking on it's own.

Check and replace the fan clutch if you suspect it's over 5 years old and get one from the GM dealer. Optional equipment: Remove the engine oil cooler and clean out the mat of debris that builds up behind it on the condenser. Engine oil cooler hoses need to be inspected and likely replaced.

There is an entire article in the refrence section on the 1995 HVAC control problems including the conector that melts down often.

The K3500 I have, when I bought it, it had a K&N filter in the stock filter housing. I took one look at that thing and tossed it into the trash. If Your engine is running rich, it could be the O2 sensor{s} is getting bad or, that K&N has it choked down so tight that the ECM can not allow for that much restriction.
You mentioned an intake leak, is that vacuum, exhaust or prestone ?

Back