• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Hitch on the Way

t2ch

Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a new hitch for my truck. The stock one was showing signs of stress and the pin hole is now oblong instead of round. I also never have had much faith in the round bar hitches like I have stock.

I wanted a Putnam XDR but putnam is no longer around, or so the dealers said. I ended up getting a Curt Magnum Part # 15108. It is a class V and the ratings are 12K straight and 14K with distribution.

I found this place to order from, www.hitchesource.com. They were the cheapest I found. The guy even threw in a new 7 pin socket and bracket. I should have it by Monday and can get pics if you guys would like.

Pics please! I am curious to see if the spare tire fits up underneath. When I checked that site, it looked as if the ratings for the hitch were higher than what you stated.

I am getting my Putnam XDR customized by having a 3" piece of metal added in for a little extra length, and it is getting sandwiched in-between two pieces of flat stock. I will take photos when I am done.

Pics please! I am curious to see if the spare tire fits up underneath. When I checked that site, it looked as if the ratings for the hitch were higher than what you stated.

I am getting my Putnam XDR customized by having a 3" piece of metal added in for a little extra length, and it is getting sandwiched in-between two pieces of flat stock. I will take photos when I am done.

well gd. what you towing about willis

We have the Torklift Superhitch, and OMG is that a beefy piece. Spare tire fits fine, and the thing is rated for 15k, no distributing, and is designed for slide-in campers. w/ their extention(s), depending on the length, you can still tow 15k, or for the long extentions, 13k.

Got it installed today. Here are the pics of the two laying out together. If you have ever wondered just how small and cheap the stock hitch is here is a comparison. The fit is pretty good. The welds all look good and the powder coat is very nice.

The only problem I had with the fit was the two bolts for the bumper. They did not line up and I had to loosen the bumper bolts, put a floor jack under it and lift until I could get the bolts started. Then tightened the frame bolts first.

The only problem I have now is the trailer plug. They sent me a new plug and bracket but it mounts under the hitch and I don't like that. I will look at after it quits raining.

Attachments

• DSC01957.jpg
    DSC01957.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01958.jpg
    DSC01958.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01959.jpg
    DSC01959.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01960.jpg
    DSC01960.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 31
We have the Torklift Superhitch, and OMG is that a beefy piece. Spare tire fits fine, and the thing is rated for 15k, no distributing, and is designed for slide-in campers. w/ their extention(s), depending on the length, you can still tow 15k, or for the long extentions, 13k.

that got a magnum rated for 22,000 tag :eek: ~600 bucks tho

That looks like it has some serious beans, surely a hugh leap over that stocker.
Which reminds me...mine is starting to show signs of Minnesota winters. Rust in the corners...yuk! Got a little cleanup to do this spring.

Pretty stout I'd say. I looked at the Class V Curt when I bought the XDR. I was curious so I went looking around for an XDR and can't seem to find one (except of course on my truck). As popular as they were I'm surprised! The link to where I got mine is broken and when I did a search for the part #25182 I get an out of stock notice most places or a broken link message. I did find one at http://www.whohas.com/products/putnam-25182-class-5-xdr-hitch-BB97657A78AAAA65069.html
I do recall Putnam having delivery problems several months after I bought mine.

I don't like my putnam XDR...can't fit the stocker spare under the truck with the mag hytec cover... and I don't deal with snow and salt and the rust on it is horrendous...

be glad you didn't get the XDR...JMHO

Pepp: I just had a 3" piece of flat stock welded into mine to extend the hitch outward to try and solve that problem. I will get some pics up later. I plan on having the hitch rhino'd or linex'd to take care of the rust.

The Curt hitch looks like a Reese Tow Beast a little. It is a nice hitch.

Jeff

I'd be more than glad to see that fix...

I only paid $125 for my XDR shipped a while ago on sale...I hate to pay to have something welded and pay to have it rhino'd...that would cost more than the hitch did...

I'd be better off getting the magnum or Tow beast...

I think I would get the magnum next go round...it looks as if it's still a 2" reciever...I have an expensive 2" DT adjustable hitch I'm not willing to part with just yet...

Whatever one I get...I'd like it to fit a 265 spare "with" the Mag Hytec diff cover on...

Putnam XDR Fix

Paul:

I just got it back. It is still in the rough, as I need to do some grinding to smooth out the welds. I will try it this week to see how it fits. My thoughts were the same as yours. The hitch is a good hitch, but not being able to fit the spare tire underneath was a pain. Hopefully this fix does the trick.

Attachments

• Hitch Fix 1.jpg
    Hitch Fix 1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Hitch Fix 2.jpg
    Hitch Fix 2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Hitch Fix 3.jpg
    Hitch Fix 3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Hitch Fix 4.jpg
    Hitch Fix 4.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Hitch Fix 5.jpg
    Hitch Fix 5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 30
Looks beefy...I don't know if I would risk the liability issues with owning my own business and towing heavy with it though...especially if it were to cause injury or death due to failure...

The guy who welded it for me stated that it was stronger than it was before. Welded in the same size piece of flat stock metal, and welded each weld 3 times getting good penetration. Then he went in and welded the flat stock over the weld, and finally welded in the gussets. He guaranteed that it would not brake on ony of the welds!

I do see your point though Paul.

Looks like he did a good job on the welds Jeff. I've got a completely warn out 265 Wrangler spare with the stock cover and it just barely fits. I keep a good 285 spare in the bed for long hauls though.
I agree on the rust with the XDR. their powder coat didn't hold up worth a damn.:mad2:
Yeah, I'd be a bit worried about the liability since I pull pretty heavy with it.
I do like the structural quality of the Putnam though (and it's paid for...).

Jeff

I'd be more than glad to see that fix...

I only paid $125 for my XDR shipped a while ago on sale...I hate to pay to have something welded and pay to have it rhino'd...that would cost more than the hitch did...

I'd be better off getting the magnum or Tow beast...

I think I would get the magnum next go round...it looks as if it's still a 2" reciever...I have an expensive 2" DT adjustable hitch I'm not willing to part with just yet...

Whatever one I get...I'd like it to fit a 265 spare "with" the Mag Hytec diff cover on...

i order a superhitch tonight.. 2" tube for the supre 2.5" for the magnum hitch
17k rating on the super and 22k on the mangum
towshop sell the supre for 500 anywere in the lower 48 magnum goes for 629.00 and none are instock cureently
01-02lb truck take the C1205(m) for standard(mangum) when i talked to him there were 3 left in stock nation wide with (towshop) now there are 2 left ;)

Adam, you'll love the superhitch. It's an incredibly beefy piece, and now I have no worries about hauling anything behind our truck.

Adam, you'll love the superhitch. It's an incredibly beefy piece, and now I have no worries about hauling anything behind our truck.

my brother wasnt too sure about me spending 500 bones on a reciever hitch this thing dwarfs putnam/reese hitches.. caught him seriously eyeballing it this morning.. then man still think the B&W GN are crap says the ball will wobble out ):h
l_e40f393e18514460ba64cd89b6d60948.jpg

Back