• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

new fuel tank-more smoke?

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
Just swapped out my tank because old one had an intermittent weep. Put a little fresh fuel in it, tried to make it a mile to the station, but crapped out. I think I was running off the fuel in the filter, until I got to the air in the lines. So after wife rescued me and I threw another can of fuel in it, I had her follow me. In the dark with her lights behind me I could see a lot of smoke when I was getting on it. Truck ran long enough to have no air in it, it is running perfect now, but I've never noticed smoke before. Usually if I pound it from a dead stop I'll get a good puff of black smoke until the truck catches up to the motor. This was different, it was a steady plume of smoke as long as I stayed on the throttle; I think grayish but hard to say for sure in the dark.
New tank was spotless, I've got no leaks and I'm sure the air has purged out because it is running beautiful and has plenty of power. Just can't figure out why she's pushing so much smoke, and not running poorly.
Any ideas?:confused:

Check it in the daylight, -they always seem to make more "haze" at night, -particularly when someone is following with their headlights on. There have been times when I've left a stoplight at night with someone following me with their lights on, -and a glance in my mirror, I was thinking "geez, I just smoked out the entire intersection!".

Did the new tank come with a new sock?

Maybe there actually IS a little more more fuel.

No new sock and I couldn't get one. Tried to clean up the old one as best I could. I know what you mean about the smoke at night, I can't see it in the daytime today. It's tough for me to see anyway because of the dually fender and my mirrors are too small. Must be like you said, a haze that's more visible with light shining through it.

Back