• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Needing a good car speaker..

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looking for a good speaker to replace the the ones in a 99 Z71. The current ones are wore out.

I'm in a bit of dilemma. I was told that you can run a amp off the factory head unit. But, is it really worth it? Thinking about going with a complete new CD player while i'm at it..

are you refering to running the power source for an amp off of the head unit?? most amps draw enough juice that they need a dedicated power source from the batt to provide power.

as far as speakers go, cant help you there. i pretty much run what they gave me, except for the bass end :D

I had some Kennwoods in my '98. Don't remember what model they were. they sounded pretty good though.
I would go with a component setup with the tweeter separate from the rest of the speaker.

kenwood pioneer alpine. I have an inexpensive set of blauplunt in my suburban that sounded very good with a small amp. as far as using the stock head unit. if you try to use an amp off of that you will loose quality because you have to put a high level to low level inverter in line to convert the speaker wires to RCA outputs to go into the amp. they do teh job but quality and volume suffer a fair bit. some amps will take both speaker wire inputs or RCA but I dont know how well they work. have to do some homework.

are you refering to running the power source for an amp off of the head unit?? most amps draw enough juice that they need a dedicated power source from the batt to provide power.

as far as speakers go, cant help you there. i pretty much run what they gave me, except for the bass end :D

I have a AMP kit for the amp. On a stereo you need the A/V jacks to send out the sound, factory radios (most) don't have that. I bought a hi/low converter that solved my problem...:)

Back