• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some help with GearVendors OD unit behind 4L80E

You could theoretically mount a temp sensor in either the fill or drain plugs. Just take either plug to a decent hardware store that has a way to identify threads and find a plug that can be drilled/ tapped or is already threaded for 1/8" npt as that's the common trans temp probe size

I run the Tribodyn 75-90 gear oil in my front and rear diffs and in the final drives on my mini excavator. Pricey compared to standard off the shelf stuff but when compared side by side after draining my final drive motors the Tribodyn looked exactly the same as when it went in and the grey mobil gear oil was diesel black.

I do understand the why...

So, @dbrannon79 what mileage increase did you get, and at 70mph what rpm are you running? What were your egt and coolant temps?
I bought the truck with it installed so I don't know what it was getting before. I did the first mileage on it since getting it on the road and got 15.6 mpg. at 70 the display on the TCI tcu is reading 1800. the gauge tach is reading 2k. not sure which is more accurate but the TCI is reading raw from the front crank sensor.

I don't have an EGT installed. not running much boost on it ether uphill acceleration the most boost I have seen on the gauge is 6psi. I have the turbomaster installed on the Gm turbo but don't have it turned up too much. Tire size is 245-75-16 P series tires that are not rated for this trucks weight and 4.10 rear gears

I would assume if I got some LT series tires rated for the trucks weight, and the engine was healthier with not so much blowby it would get up in the 16's to 17's for mileage.

I'm not sure what to think....
My 93 dually has gotten 21-22 on the highway for years now with the cruise set on 70...right now it's a nv4500.

I do know mine doesn't like to be lugged, mine still has a stock 215k motor but it doesn't have any blowby.

I'm not sure what to think....
My 93 dually has gotten 21-22 on the highway for years now with the cruise set on 70...right now it's a nv4500.

I do know mine doesn't like to be lugged, mine still has a stock 215k motor but it doesn't have any blowby.
You running 4:10 differential(s) ?
Here I was thinking this GV would be the perfect answer to not having to regear my truck so I could drop RPMs to about 2000 at about 75 MPH.
Guess that just will not be an option now.

Well that was the first mileage reading I got to take since getting the truck running. mind you that was running off 3 year old fuel that was in the tanks on top of me tinkering with the engine. I just filled up sine our trip. this mileage was our trip out to the coast and a little bit of running around I did. I got 16.7 MPG this time around.

I'm sure that nv4500 helps with the mileage

Yes I'm sure it does some, I'll know a little more when I convert back to a 4l80 this summer. The tranny builder did say a multi disc converter and TCM program change will do better than a stock converter and stock tcm tune, we will see...

4l80e has od of .75 and nv4500 is .74. The big difference is supposed to be the drag in the 4l80e.
Are you swapping engine and trans at same time? It would be interesting to see mpg difference is you do transmission first.

I have to say now that I have driven the two trucks I have, both with 4l80e's, one I changed the gears from 4.10 to 3.73, and this one with 4.10's and the GV unit, the 4.10 + GV (double OD) is icing on the cake. even with smaller tires than the other. (265-75 vs 245-75) the RPM's are lower on the freeway and it had more power for pulling. I never pull trailers or loads other than when I used the 95 to tow the 93 home but if I was given the choice between the two I would choose the higher gears with the GV over the lower gears without the GV.

Now that my daughter has given us a (free to her) 30' bumper pull travel trailer, once I get it tagged and ready for a camping trip, I will get to see how well both trucks will pull it!

I know if you have to buy new, spending the $$ on the GV unit will make you think about the investment and use case if it would be worth it. That by it's self is very hard to chew on!

Back