• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need help trying to get a log file out of a router

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Not sure where to begin or what I should do but Dlink no longer supports the DI 614+(What I have) and to make a long story short I need to get the log file out of it but there is something wrong with the router. The only thing Dlink tech support would tell me is that if I reboot the router using the reset button it will reset all the factory defaults and wipe the log file. Someone broke into my wireless and I am sure the mac address is on this router but I cnanot access it. The AP IP is 192.168.0.1 but when I try that it doesn't get a login , just an error. I tried pinging the AP IP and it did not o thorugh. Is there any place I can send this thing that could recover the log files from it(if there are any, I am praying to god there are). I don't know what to do.

Why do you need the MAC address of the router? Why do you need to retrieve the log file? If the router has been hacked, the safest thing to do is:

-- disconnect the WAN cable (connection to your ISP) to the router
-- reset the router to factory defaults
-- connect a crossover cable from the router to a PC (or use an Ethernet hub: cable to router, cable to PC)
-- log in (address is 192.168.1.1) and change the "admin" password, immediately (use a misspelled foreign word with upper/lower case and numbers)
-- perform your configurations (employ a few precautions to make hacking more difficult... e.g., wireless access control list on MAC level, etc.)
-- connect WAN cable to the router

If you cannot log in under the admin account, and you do not have an alternate (back door) user ID with admin rights, don't waste your time.

I've got a NetGear WGR614v7 you can have for the cost of shipping -- replaced it with a Verizon router/firewall and D-Link Gigbit switch. Let me know.

Regards,
Franko

I don't need the mac address of the router, I need the mac address of whoever used the wireless on a certain date. PM sent.

Try this gentleman's Perl scripts (Perl Language is used to program modems, routers, etc.). The second script under "Programs for D-Link DI614+" named "get_log_full.pl" retrieves/parses the complete logfile:

http://www.wgz.org/bwarden/hacks/perl/

You will still need to be able to log into the router, though. I'll try to find other utilities but will have to let you know that these hackers are experts at hiding their true identities, e.g., keeping their true MAC and IP addresses "secret" while bouncing their transmissions over multiple hops to make tracing their routes (DOS command "tracert") extremely difficult. Good luck.

If the guy (using my wireless)was that smart. It may have been some kid and my wireless may have been open at the time. I was having trouble getting it to work.

Last edited:
Back