• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need a Quieter

Mr Baadboy

Reaction score
Exhaust ............Pulled the 32 TT for the second time with the new 4" exhaust system 4" turbo down and Baack AFE except down pipe MBRP .
The kids and Mom say it is way to loud pulling and just crusing I think it sounds fine, but I'm always driving. I've done some recearch and would like to hear what You All have to say and would like recommendations on a mufflar that will Quiet her down but keep the performance and EGT's down
Thanks for any and all suggestions
Selective Hearing Dad & Husband

2003 CCSB 4x4 GMC SLE 6.6 Turbo Diesel
Predator 40 tow/ 85 daily

you can just do an MBRP resonator that should quiet it down a bit or you cna do an aero turbine muffler but that will be a bit more restrictive.

I have MBRP 4 inch down pipe back(no cat) on my LLY. That's w/ the MBRP straight through muffler. I get know complaints from my wife or kids while towing the camper although I think it is a bit quieter than the LB7 I had to begin with.

I'm running a Banks 4" exhaust and from inside you can't hear it over the motor. It has la ow rumble standing outside near the tip.

I would suggest trying the resonator as mentioned above, it will probably be cheaper in the long run (unless you can sell the old muffler to offset the cost) than a new muffler and will probably do the trick. .

Also, what type of exhaust tip do you have? Straight down can cause the noise to bounce up and down under the truck and into the cab. If you have a turn down tip try tilting it towards the back like maybe 45 degree angle away from the truck....this will not help if the exhaust is really loud.
JP

i've got a 5 inch exhaust from the turbo back and i never get any complaints from any of the passengers, even pulling stuff around.

Thanks

TX for the input...
Turning radio up is out, the kids then complain they cannot hear thier DVD's, and momma cannot read her book or sleep,........So i just drive and think of years past when fishing in Northern Candian Water's catching 10 lb Walleyes
or thinking of what to do next to Truck or around the house
The Life Of A Married Father...........:crazy: This is why I enjoy driving my Truck alone for some quality time......:sosp: on the off chance I am Alone

maybe turn the radio up....

:biggrin5: ... i was thinkin the same thing. often times it up so high i cant hear the exhaust and its a straight pipe!! ... i need a louder exhaust..... maybe cut it off at the downpipe..... :smilielol5:

I complained about one of my scrapers being too loud and needin' a new muffler-boss hooked me up with brand spankin' new caterpillar approved ear plugs.

I'm running a 5" MBRP down pipe back w/ muffler and pulled the camper today. Even with the window's down, the drone at 45-60 mph was not bad at all. I was expecting it to be there since this was the first time I pulled with the exhaust on, but to be honest, I didn't think it was too bad.

4"mbrp from the front back, single exit and it's nice and quiet. If I really get on it you can hear it but still not much.

Headphones for the kids DVD, Earplugs for the wife. Radio, turbo, and rumble from the exhaust for you.

Back