• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need a new transmission

packratt

Reaction score
My brother didn't have a good day yesterday. He managed to bust the gearbox on our 3pt hitch tiller. Then while hauling another tractor, managed to break the transmission in my truck.,

He was going down the interstate it popped out of gear. I haven't had a chance to check it out but apparently it will go into 1,2,3,5 but will not move. The truck will drive in 4th.

With close to 300,000 miles on the tranny I guess it's past time to either have it rebuilt or to buy a re-manufactured transmission.

I checked Jasper's website and they are smoking some serious dope when it comes to pricing.

Any suggestions on where to get a re-manufactured unit?

Has anyone used a unit from drivetrain.com?

Sounds like the counter shaft,they are less than $300. In 4th gear the main shaft is simply locked to the input shaft,all the rest run off of the counter shaft,it could even be just the input shaft.

It may have just been the counter shaft but the tranny was in need of a complete overhaul. It had 285,672 miles on it and I know the syncro's were showing wear. I'd say the bearings could have used replacement as well.

I broke down and got one from Jasper. It was completely re-manufactured with all upgrades and a 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty. Even with my brother's company discount it was a bit more expensive than getting my old one rebuilt but the warranty is alot better and good nationwide if something goes wrong.

Back