• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NBS Woes Part 2 EGR

DuraRaj

Reaction score
My EGR/heater return coolant line coupler blew!!! It's right up on the firewall past where we place the plate blocker. What a bitch to get to. Once it got unseated the coolant just flowed like crazy. Coolant drenched the entire engine:mad:.
Good thing it happened at home, 'cause it just drained most of the fluids before I realized what was happening.

Replaced the cheap plastic coupler w/ a more beefier one made of metal. This job was a bitch!!!

I don't know why it happened or if it's occuring more w/ tuned up LMM motor. Hope it doesn't happen to anyone here.

You think this has to do with aftermarket modifcations, or just random?

the easy fix

:banplease:

You know the easy fix would be to sell it and buy a cummins or a powerstroke...lol :pound:

:behindsofa:

Here we go again... I know I know...
:lol:

Well, since I got my tuner...I've been pounding my truck alot. That might be the main culprit. That OEM coupler seems really weak though.

:banplease:

You know the easy fix would be to sell it and buy a cummins or a powerstroke...lol :pound:

:behindsofa:

Here we go again... I know I know...
:lol:

Yup!! I'm w/ you my man, but I just luv these trucks! I'll take a cummins/powerstroke if it's a freebie. Peace...:pound::p ;)

Like I've said a million times....when GM has a solid axle, I am buying one...by then the motor issues should be worked out...ya know?

The motors were pretty trouble free from the start and have been since. Just little things here and there which Gm has covered for us owners. unlike the POSD which likes to blow heads off. Or some of the small yet major problems with the Cummins.

Anyways. This just sounds like one of those little things that the engineers always seem to overlook. Did you get any pics at all?? Im sur eif it happened to some other members theyd love a writeup :D:

I asked my dealer if similar plastic coupler on any vehicle they've work on have ever failed...to the best of their knowledge, this was the 1st reported incident. There's no TSB on this. This is probably just an isolated incident.

As I stated, good thing it happened at home. At WOT, it would empty out the coolant in seconds. I'll try to post some pics of the fix...

I've replaced the plastic coupler w/ an older type metal coupler, I found at a hydraulic shop. You will need a Lisle type tool (AC/Fuel Line disconector) to be able to remove the metal coupler.

You'll need to remove the airbox to have some room to manuver, it's really tight where it's at.

Back