• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My printer is on its way out the window...

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
HP Photosmart C4280. I've come to realize that HP products are the biggest piles of horseshit around. I've had nothing but problems with my HP Photosmart Premier camera program and now my printer dosent want to work.

If I load paper to be copied, it works fine. If I command prompt a program, photo, PDF, Word documents, it does nothing at all. A small icon pops up lower right stating that XXX number of documents pending printing. They never print. I restart, reinstalled, searched for drivers, bang on it, cuss at it, even spend hours trying to figure out why this thing dosent work.

Each and every time, the computer wont recognize that its plugged in. It'll tell me that it "found new hardware" bullshit. I finally kept the disk in the dvd drive but it evidently dosent do anything at all. I've had it.

Anyone got any suggestions before I take this thing out to put some rounds through it?

did you check and make sure it's the default printer? have you had another printer before this one? It sounds like there is another printer driver still being used but no printer to go with it.

I did. It didnt make a damn bit of difference.

I can install it every day. By the afternoon, it tells me that it found new hardware and is prompting me to reinstall it. When I do, it wont recognize it 5 minutes later.

What do you use the printer for? How many photos do you print? Ever considered a cheap laser printer? I have a black&white hp laser that I paid $50 for. Works like a champ!

What do you use the printer for? How many photos do you print? Ever considered a cheap laser printer? I have a black&white hp laser that I paid $50 for. Works like a champ!

I print out documents. No photos....I paid like 70 bucks for this one and its only about 5 months old.

Thats pretty much it...Thanks brother...

Sorry I haven't chimed in on this one. Have you downloaded the latest drivers? and or patches? We need more information. What OS are you using? If I am late just disregard...

You can also try to stop and start the print spooler service.

Control panel, administrative tools, services

Can you print a test page?

Restart your computer, open up "Printers and Faxes" in control panel, right click the printer, properties, hit "print test page".

Check /etc/groups and make sure your user account is a member of the lp group. :D

Inkjets are crap, get a laser. I snagged an HP Color LaserJet 3600N at Newegg.com for $250 recently.

As a general rule, I find HP printers tend to be the best, most reliable out there. Now of course, there are excpetions to the rule. I tend to not like the newer inkjets (can't install a basic driver, you MUST install additional CRAP in order for it to work). If all you're doing is documents, then a printer like this would probably be good for you (unless of course you want to spend more :)). It's got a crappy host-based driver which sucks for networking, but works fine if it's for a single, standalone PC. 3.5MB basic driver and you're done. I've got a few similar printers (I think they're like 1018's or something) in use at a customers site, and for the money they can't really be beat.

I dont like to spend anything on anything. I'm turning into a cheap bastard...(but I will drop a grand on a nav system any day of the week ):h )

I'll check that out. Thanks for the link.

Back