• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MPG Chip for LMM.

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I happen to talk with a guy I met on the river over the weekend. He is currently running a new LMM. His only problem right now is the fuel mileage he's getting. He said around 13 MPG average. He still has the DPF, which is probably alot of his problem. He is also running a Superchips.

Give me a good combo for the LMM to tell the guy about. Money dosen't seem to be an issue for him...

Honestly that DPF has to go! That is probably the biggest problem. Then if he bought a PPE tuner or an EFI tune he would be in pretty good shape. He would have to buy one or the other anyways if he ditched the DPF.

Honestly that DPF has to go! That is probably the biggest problem. Then if he bought a PPE tuner or an EFI tune he would be in pretty good shape. He would have to buy one or the other anyways if he ditched the DPF.

Didn't know if superchips did the delete or not. Good point..

We'll be talking this weekend.

My honest opinion... just for mileage... don't remove the DPF.

Couple reasons - I have many customers with dpf's. When they come in i look at their dic and see where they are at - usually 16 - 18.... I look at mine with the dpf off and it reads 14.3.

Now i understand these are not accurate... but i am dumping more fuel with my tunes. I also drive harder then most so i know that doesn't help. Basicly with some small testing i have done - dpf removal alone will not help mpg's.

Keep in mind once the dpf comes off and you are towing out somewhere and an injector sticks and wipes out a cylinder. You cannot reinstall that dpf on the side of the road , remove tuning and take it in... you just bought an engine...

I have been able to get into the low 20's with the dpf off - running duramaxtuners tune and all highway. I could not achieve that with the dpf on....

Advantages to removal of dpf. Much lower egts, better acceleration and power throughout....

The DIC calculates off of the RPM and pulse width. If you alter the pulse width it will not be able to corect itself unless you change the multiples.

Alot depends on where you buy diesel. My dic is around .4 + or -mpg off. One place I fill up i got 23 mpg driving 65 on the interstate. Everywhere else is around 19. I have the ppe set to the 15 hp level. When I had my lbz i would hear stories of people getting over 20 and I thought they were full of ****, because mine never seen over 16.... I was wrong.

Alot depends on where you buy diesel. My dic is around .4 + or -mpg off. One place I fill up i got 23 mpg driving 65 on the interstate. Everywhere else is around 19. I have the ppe set to the 15 hp level. When I had my lbz i would hear stories of people getting over 20 and I thought they were full of ****, because mine never seen over 16.... I was wrong.

your dic is off???:D
I check it everytime I fill up. A half mile to the gallon isnt off that bad.

i'm sure there's probably a few wandering around.... i aint about to go lookin for em though.... :D

I happen to talk with a guy I met on the river over the weekend. He is currently running a new LMM. His only problem right now is the fuel mileage he's getting. He said around 13 MPG average. He still has the DPF, which is probably alot of his problem. He is also running a Superchips.

Give me a good combo for the LMM to tell the guy about. Money dosen't seem to be an issue for him...
I bought an Edge with an attitude for my 2008 LMM, but I cant say that it was worth the 700 I spent for it, I'm seeing a steady 17 at this point, but I thank that i mite look at a Bands system.

I bought an Edge with an attitude for my 2008 LMM, but I cant say that it was worth the 700 I spent for it, I'm seeing a steady 17 at this point, but I thank that i mite look at a Bands system.

For that kind of money you should get EFI live. Have a custom tune made, and ditch the DPF. You should see a good improvement.

Back