• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Motor Mounts?

toddlnrd

My first diesel!
Reaction score
When I put my truck in reverse and touch the "go" pedal, i get a bad vibration. Feels like something is slipping. If I ease into the accelerator, this does not happen. No problems in forward gears.

Could this be the motor mounts? The tranny was rebuilt just 25k ago. Probably not the tranny (I hope).

If it is motor mounts, how much of the pain are they to change out?

Thanks,
Todd

Get a flashlight out and look at your mounts. They're easy to see in our rigs.

If you have a cherry-picker than they shouldn't be terribly hard to replace, in theory. But still, expect it to be an all day project. Have plenty of beer on hand.

sure its not a shudder?
I cracked a reverse piston and it shuders a bit. if I throttled hard it would out and out slip.
I get the new tranny in about 3 hrs and will start installing.

also check bellhousing bolts for tight.
hope my issue is not yours

When I put my truck in reverse and touch the "go" pedal, i get a bad vibration. Feels like something is slipping. If I ease into the accelerator, this does not happen. No problems in forward gears.

Could this be the motor mounts? The tranny was rebuilt just 25k ago. Probably not the tranny (I hope).

If it is motor mounts, how much of the pain are they to change out?

Thanks,
Todd

Maybe exhaust hitting somewhere.
To check the motor mounts ... lift the hood then get in and put it in reverse , put your foot on the brake and then hit the accelerator if the mount is broken the motor will lift and then drop when you let off the accelerator (passenger's side mount) The driver's side do the same procedure in drive. Start off slow on the accelerator and slowly load it up. Even if the mount is good it will lift some, if bad you will see it jump.

If it is the exhaust hitting you should also be able to hear it.

Get a flashlight out and look at your mounts. They're easy to see in our rigs.

If you have a cherry-picker than they shouldn't be terribly hard to replace, in theory. But still, expect it to be an all day project. Have plenty of beer on hand.

Yes, beer makes it all funner! Good idea!

Too much beer makes for mistakes. Beer is best for afterwards.

Check out tranny mount also, Try to imitate the situation with someone watching the mounts, better yet, teach someone what to do in your truck and you watch the mounts, just don't get flatbacked.

Back