• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making a fuel sump

great white

Reaction score
My truck is rarely below 1\2 tank and I avoid anything under 1\4 like the plague. Thing is, at heavy throttle and heavy load it can actually suck air. Not fun on long trips getting worried once under 1\4 tank about air. I still have to worry about running out, but the air doesn't bad thinks to the ds4, both mechanically and electrically.

Pickup is brand new, so no issues there with air intrusion. Line is Eaton pushlock from tank to filter manager.

I also don't like a standard pickup tube, I don't like my raptor having to "suck".

I've been wanting a fuel sump for a while and while I'm not cash strapped, I'm not going to spend more than I have to on "sumpthing" :)

Now that I've moved back to my home province, I can get raw materials readily so rather than spending 200-300 bucks on a chunk of AL I'm going to build my own sump.

I pick up my "new" lathe this weekend (Atlas 10x42) so I can make it at my leisure at home. I was a bit tired of scabbing time at work to make stuff, so buying my own makes sense.

I'm undecided if I'm going to pour my own blank (I've lots of AL scrap like intakes and rims lying around) or just buy a chunk of stock. Probably just buy a chunk for simplicities sake.

I was thinking just a bolted sump, but I really like beans diesels design:

sumppub800.png

I like the small stand pipe, I like the drain port and I like the "hub centric" design.

I may go with a multiple bolt ring still, but those bean's features will probably shop up in my final turning.

No worries on sediment and crud making its way out of the tank either way, I've got a 30 micron prefilter in place prior to the raptor. Nice thing is, the weight of the fuel will feed the raptor, it will no longer have to suck from the tank.

I will also nip the air tube on the sender plate so the last 1\8 top of the tank doesn't take forever to top off. I despise waiting for that design. I don't need the tank to slow down when fueling, I can do that myself and deal with the foaming as need.

Once I get the shop setup, I'll throw up a pic or two of the fabrication. If anyone's interested that is....

Last edited:
so I take it the body of that unit acts as a reservoir? if not then not a lot of gain to be had
Yup.

The other gains are you are feeding from the bottom of the tank, so it all drains out (none left unusable below the pickup) and the lift pump is feed fuel instead of having to suck it out (less demand on the pump). There is also anecdotal evidence (ie: forum posts) that some have picked up a couple psi for that reason.

I had looked into sumpthing myself. This was as simple and cheap as it gets other than a "no tank drop" install , but those are expensive.
bulkhead fitting.jpg bulkhead-fitting-stainless.jpg bulkhead fitting installed.jpg

Yeah for sure you'd have to drop the tank to access, but were talking $50ish for a nice one. Whats the "no drop" cost? Might be worth it to drop??

Cost for me?

Scrap piece of aluminum (drop piece from a local shop), couple bolts, a bit on o ring and a push lock fitting.

So....30 bucks maybe?

Less if I just cast my own blank from the scrap I have hanging around.

:)

I'm actually thinking of spinning up a dimpler so I can make a "sub-sump" to put the sump fitting in. A depression in the tank to make the sump the absolute lowest point if you can picture it. Access to the top of the tank isn't a problem as I made a removable hatch in the bed some time ago.....

Thats more of a testament to the tank than the sump. I doinbt a metal tank would far quite so well (or in the video where they drag it behind a side by side and finally blow it up). I wish there was a plastic tank option for my truck or, better yet: a titan extended range plastic tank option.

But, it is also good evidence of the validity of the "hole centric" style mount and the use of a pliable o ring instead of a gasket.

All good designs!

:)

If they had filled the tank with cement it would have been a better test. What they did was flashy, but hardly a test (the dragging test)

The sledge hammer test was impressive though.

Back