• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Major 4l80e problems

Late reply sorry, but I want this truck to be a easy driving truck that can also still tow pretty heavy trailers no problem. If the manual is decently drivable on the highway and such, how much does the swap cost?

Late reply sorry, but I want this truck to be a easy driving truck that can also still tow pretty heavy trailers no problem. If the manual is decently drivable on the highway and such, how much does the swap cost?
It mainly depends on how many parts you get out of a scrap yard and the cost they charge. I got a NV4500 out of a local scrapyard for $80. Got the bell housing, cross member, clutch, and flywheel for $200. Had to go to a different scrap yard to get the pedal and master cylinder. Ended being like $40 if I remember right. Mine was 4x4. Transfercase from the auto works with the standard but I had to have the driveshaft lengthen. By the time everything was done I think it was about $450-500

It mainly depends on how many parts you get out of a scrap yard and the cost they charge. I got a NV4500 out of a local scrapyard for $80. Got the bell housing, cross member, clutch, and flywheel for $200. Had to go to a different scrap yard to get the pedal and master cylinder. Ended being like $40 if I remember right. Mine was 4x4. Transfercase from the auto works with the standard but I had to have the driveshaft lengthen. By the time everything was done I think it was about $450-500

Man that sounds great!
I have the push button 4x4, should I consider swapping around for manual? I don't know if i trust push button 4x4 anymore with all the problems i've had.

Also only the clutch, master cylinder, and transmission are needed? Does it bolt up easy?

Man that sounds great!
I have the push button 4x4, should I consider swapping around for manual? I don't know if i trust push button 4x4 anymore with all the problems i've had.

Also only the clutch, master cylinder, and transmission are needed? Does it bolt up easy?
Manual 4x4 is much better. And no you also need a bell housing, and flywheel. Guessing by clutch you are including pressure plate, clutch friction, and pedal?

Shifter and probably transfer case I’m not totally sure if the push button transfer case has the rod sticking out for the linkage to go on

Well, do you have any idea what wiring is required to make it all work? After the physical trans is in, what else is required for making a good running truck?

Well, do you have any idea what wiring is required to make it all work? After the physical trans is in, what else is required for making a good running truck?
Not sure on wiring. Your harness SHOULD work as long as the speed sensor plug is the same for both transfer cases. That website seems pretty credible, their numbers seem accurate. Forgot to mention that your transmission crossmember on the auto, bolts straight to the top of the crossmember. The NV4500 is shorter then the 4l80E therefore they made a "extension" bracket. It bolts straight in where the auto did just moved the mounting holes for the trans rubber mount forward. Its a factory GM part and make sure to get it from the scrapyard

Not sure on wiring. Your harness SHOULD work as long as the speed sensor plug is the same for both transfer cases. That website seems pretty credible, their numbers seem accurate. Forgot to mention that your transmission crossmember on the auto, bolts straight to the top of the crossmember. The NV4500 is shorter then the 4l80E therefore they made a "extension" bracket. It bolts straight in where the auto did just moved the mounting holes for the trans rubber mount forward. Its a factory GM part and make sure to get it from the scrapyard

Thank you very much!

What did you do about the electronics?

Back