• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Main cap bolts

Deere65

Reaction score
I’m rebuilding a 6.5 for a guy and I think the main bolts should be replaced. Aren’t they tty bolts? I can’t seem to find replacements. I know the best thing to do would be install studs be he’s not going to put out $400 for a set. Anyone know where a stock set can be found? Thanks guys

Thanks for checking. I doubt he’d want to wait that long and I don’t really want his truck in my shop that long if I don’t have to. I’m guessing most people do reuse those bolts seeing as how they aren’t found easily.

I’ve never really thought it was a good idea to reuse tty bolts but I guess if they’re not readily available that would be why they get reused.

I’m really not sure and that’s why I’m asking but after looking at all the torque specs I can find I’m not seeing any that show torque plus a degree or multiple passes. I kind of thought TTY bolts were torqued and then turned a certain degree

The head bolts have that spec of 90* after the last torque, yet the mains don't. I would reuse the main bolts unless you want studs.

Back