• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Love my LBZ.

cgreen

Recruit
Reaction score
Friday, I picked up a 4000 lb roller in North Alabama and took it all the way to Southeast of Tifton, Ga. I used my dad's 18 ft trailer with 2 5200 lb axles. I got 14.5 mpg for the whole trip and that included stop and start traffic. The truck did awesome for a bone stock truck. I do plan on some upgrades if everything goes as planned after my lawsuit gets finished. All I plan on doing in getting the trans mildly built as right now under a small load, the torque convertor will chatter pulling away from a redlight under moderate power. Then EFI live with a DSP5 switch from a reputable tuner and exhaust. Truck has around 87k miles on it. I got it with 29k miles on it February of 2009 and I have been using it for my business exclusively since the summer of 2010 since I got rid of my Isuzu boxtruck. I usually haul a 16 ft bumper pull loaded down with carpet. I plan on getting a bigger trailer this year if funds allow for it. I am thinking about either a gooseneck with 20 or 24 ft on the floor or a 20 ft bumper pull with 2 7k axles. Right now I can haul about 7500 lbs, but I hope to able to up that to 10-11k with the 7k axles and that will open up more business for me.

Have any of you guys ever had a gooseneck enclosed trailer and how much did it weigh empty? Also what kind of mileage do you get pulling it? I get 11-12 with my bumper pull enclosed right now.

I have always thought a gooseneck was more stable towing than a bumper pull. I will be using my dually and it is more stable in winds with my 16ft tralier behind it than my Tahoe is with no trailer. I was gonna go with 2 7k axles on the gooseneck. Right now with 1000lbs tongue weight, I figure my cargo weight capacity to be in the 7500lb range and with a gooseneck weight in the 5k range my capacity would be 9k for the trailer and I could have another 3k in pin weight since the gooseneck centers the weight just in front of the rear axles. Raising capacity from 7500 to 12k should get me a lot more freight.

If you can swing it, get the dual tandem axles.. A little more cost up front but with a blow it you have a little extra time to get somewhere instead on the side of the road. Not to mention more stable load.

If you can swing it, get the dual tandem axles.. A little more cost up front but with a blow it you have a little extra time to get somewhere instead on the side of the road. Not to mention more stable load.

I haven't seen an enclosed trailer with dual tandems. I just realized I never said enclosed trailer in the original post, doh. :eek: I would like to get a triple 7k axle trailer for a even more cargo capacity. The only thing about that is I would have to get a CDL. A lot hinges on my lawsuit on what I can do. I am tight as a drum when it comes to spending money right now. I can get a trailer like I want for around 10k and more than likely the extra freight I would get would pay for that in a year.

I haven't seen an enclosed trailer with dual tandems. I just realized I never said enclosed trailer in the original post, doh. :eek: I would like to get a triple 7k axle trailer for a even more cargo capacity. The only thing about that is I would have to get a CDL. A lot hinges on my lawsuit on what I can do. I am tight as a drum when it comes to spending money right now. I can get a trailer like I want for around 10k and more than likely the extra freight I would get would pay for that in a year.

Didn't see the enclosed part! Whoops..

Back