• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

loosing coolant need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dieselkidd04

Reaction score
well i did a oil change today as well as an fuel filter change, my lly has been using very little coolant over the past few months( dont exactly have money to tear into it) and today when i looked at the fuel that came out of my filter it had a red bubbly substance that separated from the fuel, couldnt tell if it was coolant but it sure looked like it , i know its not offroad fuel ive never ran offroad so im getting concerned need some insite.

well i did a oil change today as well as an fuel filter change, my lly has been using very little coolant over the past few months( dont exactly have money to tear into it) and today when i looked at the fuel that came out of my filter it had a red bubbly substance that separated from the fuel, couldnt tell if it was coolant but it sure looked like it , i know its not offroad fuel ive never ran offroad so im getting concerned need some insite.

If you have a coolant leak its not going back to your fuel filter. How bad of a coolant loss do you suspect you have? I would have a UOA done to eliminate that it is not
going into the oil.

Last edited:
Can it be the egr valve? Do we have coolant running through it. This is a question from Jimmy (nephew) and I happened to be at a place last night where he was. Where he works (KW shop) they have a oil analyser so he'll get it checked out. Anybody else have any ideas?
Jimmy, fill in your signature so everybody knows what you have... unk.

I'm no expert but I cant see how coolant gets back into the fuel filter. Are you using an additive in the fuel that might have a red tint to it? like tranny fluid.

it is not possible. maybe some rust floating in the fuel. or something that got into one of the tanks at a fuel station. the two systems never come into contact.

now for the coolant leak, how much you losing?

Back