• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for info/input on Nav Head Unit

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding Nav head unit to the truck and have been doing some research as of late, but wanted some real world and first hand input from you guys as well. There are three that I am looking at, one being the Factory Nav, second being a Kenwood system (DDX7017, DNX7100), and third a Pioneer system (AVIC-D3).

What I am looking for is the Nav not tying up the CD player (which if what I have heard, the factory nav does that, right?), ease of updating maps, ablility to keep the use of my steering wheel controls, and being Sirius capable. From what I have read, looks like the Pioneer is only XM ready so that might be out of the question. A friend of mine had it put in his Expedition, and really likes it, but he doesn't listen to sattilite radio. I listen to Sirius all the time and want too keep that, but the wife has her iPod and has some good music on it as well we like to listen too when we are traveling. I'm also expecting to spend around $1,000 but I have found a few on Amazon that are "Refurbished" (Kenwood DNX7100 - $850.00 and Kenwood DDX7017 - $580.00) and was wondering how reliable these are. They are from online stores (Cruchfield Outlet) and not an individual seller. So that would make me feel a little better then a guys that swaped it out from another car.

So after saying all that, I am looking for some input from you guys that are running Nav systems and your positives and negatives. It might be a month or two before I make the switch but figured I would start asking now. Thanks for all your input in advance.

My factory NAV doesn't use the CD drive, it has it's on CD drive slot behind the display window that it uses for the maps and such. Also mine is set up for XM not Sirius. If you have a laptop you can purchase a GPS receiver pretty cheap now a days. Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS is pretty tough to beat.

the factory nav in an 06' trk uses the cd/dvd drive to run nav info, you can add an extra 6 disk cd in the lower spot in the console in front of the drink holders ,then you can lision to cds and use the nav sametime

the factory nav in an 06' trk uses the cd/dvd drive to run nav info, you can add an extra 6 disk cd in the lower spot in the console in front of the drink holders ,then you can lision to cds and use the nav sametime

If that is the case, then maybe I'll look into the factory set up w/ 6 disc changer a little more. I have the 6 disc changer now, and enjoy it so it would be something I would like to keep.

I too looked into this. The Avic-d3 is (was) one of the best, at least for me, but the downfall was that the Nav disc does take up the use of the cd/dvd drive. But, as long as you program your route, it will store it, then you can remove the nav disc and use the drive at that point. The only problem with that is that it won't provide alternate routes if you get off course. Nothing to bother me much, but something to consider if you plan to use nav much.

I love my nav....When it works....Had some problems in the beginning but got it repaired. Mine wont take burned disks for some reason. Ive tried 8 total nav disks and 1 works and its all scratched up and wouldnt you know it, where I've just moved to, the disk is apparently damaged so it wont work around here...

If I could do it all over again, I would've bought the 7100.

I really like my 7100. Though you can only get XM for it. If you're just now buying a 7100 then you'll probably want to find out how updated the maps are, 'cause they're ~$130 to get new ones.

Back