• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for a trailer, 20' tilt 14,000 GVW optimum all others would be considered

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
Looking for a trailer, 20' tilt 14,000 GVW optimum all others would be considered

I missed out on 2 trailers I would have bought.

A nice 8400 GVW 20' full tilt bumper pull for $2900

and a nice 20' enclosed wide body - 8 lug wheels for $1000 - that one sold within 5 minutes of being posted

Stay away from those tilt beds that have the break on the bed, about four foot or so from the front of the deck.
I rented one of those, undid the bed release, shoved the truck a foot back and the bed started to tilt, front of deck came up right behind the front wheels, there it was stuck, had to come along the truck forwards enough to get the bed to drop back down, anchored the bed back into position, pushed the truck back so the center of tires was behind the break, unscrewed the catch then finished shoving the truck off. What a PIA that was. LOL

Stay away from those tilt beds that have the break on the bed, about four foot or so from the front of the deck.
I rented one of those, undid the bed release, shoved the truck a foot back and the bed started to tilt, front of deck came up right behind the front wheels, there it was stuck, had to come along the truck forwards enough to get the bed to drop back down, anchored the bed back into position, pushed the truck back so the center of tires was behind the break, unscrewed the catch then finished shoving the truck off. What a PIA that was. LOL
I have been in the same exact position. My dads buddy has one and we needed to get my dads truck home. I was in the same position you were in @MrMarty51
I don’t borrow his trailer for vehicles anymore.

I've seen those and immediately had zero interest. The scenarios you stated are just what I imagined would happen.

I also need the whole bed on occasion. I guess it would be OK if you bought 6' more trailer than you needed

I have a 20 foot 7,000 pound bumper pull, not a tilt, it has ramps and cranky jacks that lug to the back end of the trailer for loading/unloading vehicles.
I have a five ton BB hand crank winch mounted to the front of the frame, don't have to worry about batteries for an electric winch.
It has a 91 K1500 setting on it right now. I would sell the entire unit with the pickup if the price was right. LOL

I have a 20 foot 7,000 pound bumper pull, not a tilt, it has ramps and cranky jacks that lug to the back end of the trailer for loading/unloading vehicles.
I have a five ton BB hand crank winch mounted to the front of the frame, don't have to worry about batteries for an electric winch.
It has a 91 K1500 setting on it right now. I would sell the entire unit with the pickup if the price was right. LOL
That's a little to light for me - especially not being a tilt. I would only go about $500 for a 7000 lb no tilt. Just to have something.

I should probably rework my 24' with 2 - 10,000 lb axles and make it tilt. I'm not as good at figuring stuff like that out anymore. I do not remember anything I used to know about hydraulics.

When I built the frame, I made it so the axles were adjustable and there was room for a 3rd axle on the slider.

The frame is a little over buil and a load all by itself. I need to look at a friends tilt and do some copying - in my spare time. LOL

What do you guys think of this trailer. It says 10,000 lb - still a little light.

It actually looks lighter duty than the 8400 GVW that I would have bought.

Is this maybe a keeper or should I keep looking?

Used 20’ 10k tilt power up power down
Ogden, IL · 12 hours ago ·
$3,200

10,000 Miles

Trades?? Johnson Trailer Sales. 2693 CR 1600 N Ogden Illinois 61859

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1952026088347958

I am still trailer shopping. Still the same issues. People want to much money for used trailers.

Looking for a 14 to 16,000 GVW, tilt bed. I would go lighter if the price was right. Everything's negotiable if the price is right

They do not include much info in their ads. They leave out stuff like dimensions, power tilt or not, electric brakes on all axles or not. tire size and weight rating, and most important - GVW.

Most of the trailers I see advertised as heavy duty without a GVW rating are in the 7,000 lb. range - which I consider to be light duty.

Hull trailers has some good prices on new trailers. The 14 and 16,000 GVW are a little pricey if you get the extras

I've looked at several used trailers that people wanted within a few hundred dollars of what you can buy new for.

http://www.hulltrailers.com/

https://www.facebook.com/stateline.trailers/

I am also still looking for a 7 to 10' 3 point mower, rotary or Flail. I think 7 or 8' would be as wide as I want to go on a bush hog style - unless it was a batwing. I heard anything over 7' is a pain for mowing ditches.

I've missed out on a couple of decent deals. I went and looked at an 8' Ford 917 Flail mower that I should have bought for $300. The seller talked us out of it. He said I might have issues with the tall grass wrapping around the shaft. Later a guy posted pictures of himself mowing 3' grass and 5' switch graSS with the same mower.

I should have bought it while I was there just to try. For the price I would not have been out much if it didn't work.

If it was terrible, it would still be worth something in scrap. LOL It was sold by the time I called back - about 2 days.

I am also looking for a 7 or 8' tiller for the back of the 1963 John Deere 4010 diesel

Back