• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LMM 10,000 mile update

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
I thought I would do an update on my truck I bought in October for everyone to follow. I put a decent amount of miles on my truck (about 150 miles/day) and use it as a work truck first. I debated what I wanted to do when I sold my '06 for this truck. But after 2+ months and 10,000 miles, I can say I am happy with my purchase and with this truck.

About the truck; it's an '08 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB Duramax with the LT1 trim package. Nothing too special, cloth bench seats, CD w/ XM radio, z71 package, and 245's on the 16" PYO's. Exterior color is Greystone Metallic with Ebony interior. I hit 10,000 miles on Friday Jan. 2nd and the truck had 349 engine hours at that time too. At the moment as the truck sits in the driveway, I have 10,288 miles on it.

I bought the truck from Harvard Chevy on Oct. 15 and drove off the lot with the truck having 188 miles on it. I was unsure if I wanted to do any mods to it and am still pondering what if anything I want to do to it.

When we get the chance, we do use the truck to move the family. Will take to go visit family or run errands when I'm home. But for the most part, this is my work truck, it's what makes me my money. I'm a surveyor on a oil pipeline running from the U.S./Canada border in Minnesota south to Oklahoma. I'm working on a 64 mile stretch that goes from southern Wisconsin to Northern Central Illinois. When working, I'm off roading for about 75% of the time. I will be the first to say, in the stock set up, this truck holds it's own when off road. From some heavy deep rutted soil, to sopping wet 8-10 inch mud, I have yet to get stuck with this truck. (I just knocked on wood, just to be safe) With not having anyway of see when the truck is in Regen, I'm not sure how many I have had. But I can tell by the fuel gauge when I am in the middle of one.

I can tell the truck is coming out of it's break in period. I have seen the mileage picking up in the last few thousand miles, even with the winter blend here in Norther Illinois. Worse mileage I have had is 11mpg with the truck idling for about 25 hours over a two day strech. Would start the truck up at 4:30am and would get home around 5:30 or 6:30pm. Driving throughout the day but with it being about -10* as an average temp over the couple days. Have had a handful of day where the truck idles most of the day. I have had message "Clean Exhaust Filter" only twice and they were after the truck had been sitting for multiple days with majority idle time. I drive about 40-50 miles to get to the field office and then head out to the pipeline which sometimes some spots I have to to go to is 50+ miles away. So you can see where all the miles come from. I have a lot of open country roads/highway driving going to and from home, so the truck runs in perfect conditions where I almost never relize that a Regen is going on. On the good side, my best mileage has been just shy of 19 mpg. That was all highway driving with the cruise set at 75mph. So I'm sure that I could easly get over 20mpg with dropping the speed say 10-12 mph. As an average, I'm at about 15-16 mpg. I have about 500-600 pounds of equipment in the truck plus usually one other person in the truck along with me. When getting fuel I fill it up to the top of the neck of the the filler to make sure I am putting in as much as possible and getting the best hand calculated mileage. I hand calc all the time as I don't have that option on the DIC. I also have used Power Service with every tank.

Problem wise, I don't have too many things to complan about. I think the biggest thing would be a squeek I have starting hearing a couple weeks ago, that seems to be the piece of the dash that is right below the steering wheel. When you put just the slightest amount of pressure on it, it goes away. But it isn't always there. When I start it up cold, I don't hear it and might night hear it most of the day, but at random it comes and goes. Outside of that, no other problems. Have changed the oil twice, first time at 2200 miles and next at 8800 miles. Also have just done a transmission filter and fuel filter. Drained and replaced rear axle fluid also at 2200 miles. I believe I had what has been brought up here several times in the last couple weeks, about a month ago when the fuel filter went from 60% life to 0% life when I got on it while it was cold out (10*) to try to pass someone. Believe I might have had some silght gelling in the fuel filter. No other trouble with it or anything else with fuel system.

Well I think I have said plenty, but if you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them.

Good to here your truck is treating you good dad has 5,000miles on his and no prob yet he has some mods though The best mod was a level kit and 285tires those 245s look to small..

This is good to hear that you can still spend a decent amount of time at idle without having constant problems. Certainly good news for farmers and people who work outdoors where it gets cold!

This is good to hear that you can still spend a decent amount of time at idle without having constant problems. Certainly good news for farmers and people who work outdoors where it gets cold!

Oh yeah, I have had my truck idle for as much has 9-10 hours in a day, in a harvested corn field, and have had no problems. You can let one of these trucks idle for long periods of time, you just have to make sure when you drive to either get on it for a little bit, or in my case just do some normal driving. Anything other then stop and go traffic I think in my mind is sufficient to clean the DPF. Like I said, the only time I have had the warning message come up on the DIC, is when the truck had idled for about 10 hours, two days in a row, and then I was not able to go above 30 miles an hour on my way home (55 miles) therefore, not getting cleaned like it would have anyother day.

Good to hear! Mine has 4500 on it w/ no probs. I am saving money for a lift right now. After that expense I will probably delete the DPF, program and h20 meth injection. Then start saving for a tranny... I really need to do the lift first though, I need it for the ranch. I don't think the dually is as off road capable as the SRW in stock form. It kinda flounders on the sandy parts of the roads up there. I don't see 15 mpg mixed driving and it idles for 5-30 minute periods several times a day. I hope I see that increase around 6500 miles everyone claims. I would like to get 20 mpg when it is all done.

Yeah, I too am looking to do a lift sometime in the future. Nothing too wild, a 2" or 4" lift is something I want to do. I just drove 430 miles up to Superior Wisconsin/Duluth, Minnesota for work and in stock configuration with the cruise set at 70 the whole way up here, got 17.5mpg. So I know I will lose a little of that with any kind of lift.

Yeah, I too am looking to do a lift sometime in the future. Nothing too wild, a 2" or 4" lift is something I want to do. I just drove 430 miles up to Superior Wisconsin/Duluth, Minnesota for work and in stock configuration with the cruise set at 70 the whole way up here, got 17.5mpg. So I know I will lose a little of that with any kind of lift.

Not to completely change the subject of this thread, but are you looking at Cognito UCA's or what kind of 2-4" kit are you looking for?

Not to completely change the subject of this thread, but are you looking at Cognito UCA's or what kind of 2-4" kit are you looking for?

I'm most likely going to go with the whole Congnito set up. I would like to in a perfect world, go with a nice 4" lift, but we'll see. I really like the stance of the trucks with the Congnito UCA's

Good to hear all this great news.I have just over 5k and no problems either,mine really is only used for pulling 5er and very occasional running around town.Great truck so far,thanks for taking the time to tell us.

Good to here your truck is treating you good dad has 5,000miles on his and no prob yet he has some mods though The best mod was a level kit and 285tires those 245s look to small..

CAT MAN, do those 285's rub much or at all up front? I had 265's on my '06 and think I could have cleared the 285s and was currious about the NBS Chevys. If I can get away with 285s, then that is what I wanna get over the 265s. Might use the PYO's, but am thinking of getting a set of Matte Black rims, maybe 17". I think they would look really sharp with the color of my truck.:thumbsup:

Back