• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Like some input on AirDog II setup...others?

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
I am getting my injectors replaced and I am going back and forth on on lift pump with extra filtration....do I need one or not?

I currently have a Racor pre-OEM secondary filter installed (not a problem to remove to install something new). I am thinking about adding a lift pump and I would like some opinions on the Air Dog II-100 compared to the setup Kennedy offers. Kennedy's is a lot cheaper, but AirDog II is a complete kit.

I know guys out there are running one or the other, I'd appreciate some feedback. I would also appreciate any thoughts or points of view.

BTW, I am running stock, except for the Big Head waste gate and 4" exhaust....oh and a few holes drilled in the air box..:hihi:

Thanks!

A friend reported electrical noise in his CB radio, (hauls 5th wheel campers for a living) with the addition of the AD2..

I thought it odd as they're supposed to be a brushless motor? (just what they were saying.) Should be a longer service life with a brushless motor'd pump anyway.

What kind of pricing are you getting? I have access to Air Dog products. I try to stay in the 6.5 world, but need to branch out allitle to the Dmax side.
Got a part # so I can make sure to price apples & apples?

I have the Fass HD 150gph. Seems like a great unit. Super quiet. My air compressor is louder. When the truck is running you can't hear it at all inside or outside. My truck seems to like it a lot better. I have a buddy with their 95gph version and he has no complaints either. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.

What kind of pricing are you getting? I have access to Air Dog products. I try to stay in the 6.5 world, but need to branch out allitle to the Max side.
Got a part # so I can make sure to price apples & apples?
Well, I don't have a real price, I just went out to some of the forum vendors and started poking around, but honestly I don't know enough about the dos and don'ts of lift pumps. Most prices are in the $600 range for the whole kit. I looked at the ADII - 100 and Kennedy's single pump set up...cheaper by a $180 or so.

The AirDog II is nice because it is self priming and a complete kit, but it looks like every 3 months you have to maint. it....not interested in a part-time job. I also read some stuff about how the kit isn't that great as far as stuff fitting properly. I don't have a machine shop to fix issues, or time to have my truck down for very long.

I am leaning towards Kennedy's single pump setup (I already have a secondary fuel filter), but I don't like the idea of buying a pressure guage to make sure the fuel pressure is right and have to check it regularly. Also, if you run the fuel too low it can damage the pump not covered under warranty.

I only know what I am reading and I ain't likin' what I am reading for either option....this may simply be my own ignorance how this stuff works.

The GM tech around here says I don't need a lift pump, but I'm replacing injectors at 108K miles... :skep:

Others say that having that positive pressure makes sure there is no air in the fuel system, and that fuel is constant at the injectors for better life, and the CP3 pump lasts longer. Which makes perfect sense to me, and then I read about a guy with 180K miles on original injectors that does nuthin' to his truck but put diesel in it when the guage reads "E".

I am essentially stock, so I don't need gobs of fuel, and I also don't want to buy ANOTHER maintenance issue. I would prefer a system that I buy and never think about again....ever....until time to change filters. Dreamin'? :???:

I looked for the FASS ssytem, but there isn't a lot of real info about them, like with the AirDog stuff. The AirDog site has pics of everything you get including the install kit and looks like a manual of how to install it. Kinda lets you know what you are getting into. I wish Kennedy would show a whole kit or something and more info of what is needed to install and what is involved. Some guys are just on a whole-nother level of knowledge and forget there are guys that are just backyard wrenchers.

I know I do the same thing when someone in my family asks about what computer to buy. I've been in the IT world for so long I assume everyone else knows the stuff I do, and then I watch as their eyes glaze over....sorta like me lookin' for lift pump info....:hihi:

My airdog II 165 went on without a hitch... nice clean install...I've had it on since March...I haven't maintained anything yet and it's been 6 mos. ... I do keep two spare filters under the back seat though...there are some better aftermarket filters that will fit it and that is where some say fitment issues may need to be addressed...

removing the entrained air out of the fuel is a good idea for the LB7 injectors...it's what some claim is part of the the equation in the failure rates of the injectors...good insurance if you ask me...

Well, I don't have a real price, I just went out to some of the forum vendors and started poking around, but honestly I don't know enough about the dos and don'ts of lift pumps. Most prices are in the $600 range for the whole kit. I looked at the ADII - 100 and Kennedy's single pump set up...cheaper by a $180 or so.

The AirDog II is nice because it is self priming and a complete kit, but it looks like every 3 months you have to maint. it....not interested in a part-time job. I also read some stuff about how the kit isn't that great as far as stuff fitting properly. I don't have a machine shop to fix issues, or time to have my truck down for very long.

I am leaning towards Kennedy's single pump setup (I already have a secondary fuel filter), but I don't like the idea of buying a pressure guage to make sure the fuel pressure is right and have to check it regularly. Also, if you run the fuel too low it can damage the pump not covered under warranty.

I only know what I am reading and I ain't likin' what I am reading for either option....this may simply be my own ignorance how this stuff works.

The GM tech around here says I don't need a lift pump, but I'm replacing injectors at 108K miles... :skep:

Others say that having that positive pressure makes sure there is no air in the fuel system, and that fuel is constant at the injectors for better life, and the CP3 pump lasts longer. Which makes perfect sense to me, and then I read about a guy with 180K miles on original injectors that does nuthin' to his truck but put diesel in it when the guage reads "E".

I am essentially stock, so I don't need gobs of fuel, and I also don't want to buy ANOTHER maintenance issue. I would prefer a system that I buy and never think about again....ever....until time to change filters. Dreamin'? :???:

I looked for the FASS ssytem, but there isn't a lot of real info about them, like with the AirDog stuff. The AirDog site has pics of everything you get including the install kit and looks like a manual of how to install it. Kinda lets you know what you are getting into. I wish Kennedy would show a whole kit or something and more info of what is needed to install and what is involved. Some guys are just on a whole-nother level of knowledge and forget there are guys that are just backyard wrenchers.

I know I do the same thing when someone in my family asks about what computer to buy. I've been in the IT world for so long I assume everyone else knows the stuff I do, and then I watch as their eyes glaze over....sorta like me lookin' for lift pump info....:hihi:

airdog2a_2.jpg
Is this what you refer to? Do you have a link? The best price I found was $670 and I can beat that.

FWIW I paid right at $620 for my ADII 165 and it was actually purchased from a local shop 40 mi. from me...

prices are advertised high due to MAP pricing...

IIRC ADII 100 are a much cheaper than the 165...so I know Leroy could cut you a good deal

View attachment 35783
Is this what you refer to? Do you have a link? The best price I found was $670 and I can beat that.
I think XDP has this unit for $565 w/free shipping and their pic looks like the one you have posted here. Don't know what tax might be that's why I said $600 range.

Hope I ain't breakin' any rules here, but this is the link: http://www.xtremediesel.com/pureflo...mfp1001.aspx?gclid=CMDhgP7eu7MCFYqZ4AodAWMAOQ

If I can work something out I'd like to do this purty quick.

OnEdit: It shows that it comes with the install kit as well, not just the above pictured unit.

Thats a great price and lower than my cost for buying one at a time. I can't touch that at this time.

OK hold up I was wrong. I was thinking you were asking about the Air Dog II 165. So thats what I looked up. The link you provided is an Air Dog 100 and I can beat that price in the link.

PM me for a price.

I think XDP has this unit for $565 w/free shipping and their pic looks like the one you have posted here. Don't know what tax might be that's why I said $600 range.

Hope I ain't breakin' any rules here, but this is the link: http://www.xtremediesel.com/pureflo...mfp1001.aspx?gclid=CMDhgP7eu7MCFYqZ4AodAWMAOQ

If I can work something out I'd like to do this purty quick.

OnEdit: It shows that it comes with the install kit as well, not just the above pictured unit.

Jeff,

that link/price is to the original airdog 100

this link below is the Air Dog II 100 price($655)...your link was to the original airdog

http://www.xtremediesel.com/pureflo...0wadjustableregulatorquickconnectduramax.aspx

Thats a great price and lower than my cost for buying one at a time. I can't touch that at this time.

see what you can do for him on beating the price above Leroy...or get him a price on the original FP100

FWIW I paid right at $620 for my ADII 165 and it was actually purchased from a local shop 40 mi. from me...

prices are advertised high due to MAP pricing...

IIRC ADII 100 are a much cheaper than the 165...so I know Leroy could cut you a good deal

Sorry Jeff, just saw this to. I had a case of "head up the rear"

Thanks Pepp, This is a new product to me so Im learning quickly.
To answer: yes I can beat those prices.
If interested please PM for a price.

Ok, last question here:
Looks like I have the option between the AirDog-100 and AirDog II-100. The only difference I have been able to determine is that the AirDog II comes with a fuel pressure regulator.

Anybody think a stock truck needs the fuel pressure regulator for an extra 100 bucks?

All opinions welcomed!
Thanks!

Paul - What's your take on the original AirDog for a stock truck? Is it worth the extra 100 bucks for the AirDog II 165, or over kill?

Back