• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaking Rear Axle Seals

MAGNUM SERVICES

Intelligence Guided By Experience
Reaction score
Anybody have problems with their rear seals leaking? I replace my rear brakes almost every year, sometimes twice because of leaking seals! This is expensive and frustrating! 8600 GVW, 60003 rear axle, 14 bolt full floater with the 3 1/2 in shoes! I have tried all different deal manufacturers and trimming a wee bit off the tension spring to give more surface tension but nothing solves the problem. The seal surface is smooth with no grooves or ridges so it is not the actual rear end housing. any and all answers will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Keith

Check for a plugged breather cap and/or hose .The banjo bolt holding the brass y to the axle could be plugged as well.
If above checks out,leave the seals protude a bit out of the hub instead of flush,make sure the lip faces the brg.

I've had those fun experiences too. check the breather hose. the other spot you may have buildup is inside the housing itself, where the hose attaches too. don't let the oil get too low of bad things happen. the other thing i found help is to take a fine layer of grease and coat the shaft when installing the seal.

Breather hoses, front and rear are new with new caps on them! Leaving the seal protrude a little bit has never been suggested! I'll give it a try as all it could do is leak too!

I had this headache on our 02. Replaced it 3 times within 1,000 miles. Had somebody else give it a shot and it hasnt leaked since, not sure what they did different.

Are you using the special tool and torqueing to 40lbs the backing it off and torquing to 0lbs??

Dont quote me on the 40lbs but i believe its conrrect.

have a good look on bottom of the the axle stub where the inner brg race seats and the seal rides ,both could be worn in from use there and bring the seal contact surface out of line,this causes less seal contact at the top of the axle and to much at the bottom,wont take long for the seal to wear out.

Are the old seals overheating from brakes dragging? Possible worn bearings allowing too much movement?

I would look really hard at the old seals rather than just tossing them. Their failure mode may answer where the problem is.

Schulte,yes, fluid on the shoes will prevent your parking brake from working! WarWagon, old seals have looked good, no overheating on the brake shoes, they barely get worn before one, or the other or both seals leak! Bearings look good and feel tight when torqued to specs!

Are they leaking around the shaft or the exterior of the seal? If on the outside of the seal try a little silicon around it before you tap it in. Works great on all our semi's. If it is on the shaft, then everyone else has pretty much already mentioned most possibilities.

Back