• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

K&N in a K47

great white

Reaction score
Time for the old paper filter to get the "heave ho".

Mileage and dirt accumulation has done 'er in.

So, I thought I'd give a K&N a try.

Now before we start, I've read the negative stuff about K&N's. I'm familiar with it and would prefer this thread not turn into a "P-ing" match about who's right or wrong, which flows more, which filters better, etc. That info is out on the web, you're more than welcome to go find it and make your own decisions. This thread is just for my personal experiences and how it will go with my truck's "real world" environment. You results will probably differ.

For the record, I have K&N's in my 300M, my interceptor and my CB650. I like 'em, except for the price.

Here's a pictorial of the differences between my old Purolator filter and the new K&N:

DSC04147.jpg

DSC04146.jpg

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

DSC04151.jpg

DSC04153.jpg

Initial impressions?

Well, it's smaller than the Purolator, diameter being the important difference. It also has far fewer pleats, which should mean less surface area.

On the other hand, the Purolator filled the K47 box to the point where it was up against the plastic in a couple areas, it pretty much looked too big for the box.

I do like the flange on the filter that allows a clamp to assist in sealing up the intake tube. The Purolator relied on a friction fit and a few "ribs" to make what amounts to a labyrinth seal.

I'll have to run a few tanks through the truck to see if there's any gain in MPG. This tank is a wash as I'll be hauling the 35 footer for the better part of it.

The filter cost 80 bucks after taxes.

I don't do oil analysis, no need for it on a 300,000+ kms rotating assembly. When the LB7 or P400 goes in it'll be a different story.

I may give a "butt dyno" impression, but that's a pretty subjective thing so don't put any weight on it if I do.

We'll see how the fuel log goes.....good or bad, I'll post 'er up!

;)

As difficult as it is to tell someone what a POS this over hyped and over marketed oiled band aid really is...

Expect to clean the filter often as they get dirty and plug very quickly vs. paper. The K&N on my 1993 was plugged to the top of the pleats causing smoke and extreme EGT's. It was tossed and replaced with a paper element.
My jet boat would suck the oil off the filter and I would have to re-oil it often. or the oil would run to the bottom part of the filter while the top part went white.
Expect to see a fine dust layer appear in the intake tract from the dirt the K&N lets by. I have repaired several engines mainly idle air control motor failures from the dirt the K&N coats them with.

There simply are other better aftermarket filters out there and some that don't involve oil.

As difficult as it is to tell someone what a POS this over hyped and over marketed oiled band aid really is...

There simply are other better aftermarket filters out there and some that don't involve oil.

Well said and totally true.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Expect to clean the filter often as they get dirty and plug very quickly vs. paper. The K&N on my 1993 was plugged to the top of the pleats causing smoke and extreme EGT's. It was tossed and replaced with a paper element.
My jet boat would suck the oil off the filter and I would have to re-oil it often. or the oil would run to the bottom part of the filter while the top part went white.
Expect to see a fine dust layer appear in the intake tract from the dirt the K&N lets by. I have repaired several engines mainly idle air control motor failures from the dirt the K&N coats them with.

That would make sense being that my IAC motor has gone out in my truck, I guess.

I don't really have the issue with getting dirty fast. I had an older camaro that had K&N for 5 years and never had any issues. Actually never had to clean them cause it never got dirty enough.

Could you clear up exactly what you were getting at when you said expect to clean the filter often as they get dirty and plug very quickly vs paper? Isn't that infact what the filter is suppose to do? Filter out the dirt? I wouldn't think the K&N is attracting dirt and grime while the vehicle is parked in the driveway. It's obviously trapping more dirt than paper, thus doing it's job more efficiently.

I think that the oiled filters hold more crap to it, whereas the paper filters a lot of crap falls and sets on the bottom of the air box.

Even when I had the stock box a lot of crap got through that fender somehow into the air box. bugs, bits of leaves, lots of dirt, ect...

If one prefers the cleanable oiled cotton gauze style filters, S&B makes some of the better filtering, yet high flowing (per surface area/size) oiled cotton/gauze air filters. Believe they achieve this simply with more layers of the material.

It's relavent to understand the primary filter goals are to allow the least amount of particulate matter into the engine & not be too restrictive at the max mass airflows the engine could achieve with no filtration restriction. So a filter that's just beginning to hurt airflow at max mass airflows may well have very little negative impact on airflow (& therefore limited impact on fuel economy) at the lower airflow needed to sustain unloaded, steady-state cruise highway speeds.

I think that the oiled filters hold more crap to it, whereas the paper filters a lot of crap falls and sets on the bottom of the air box.

Even when I had the stock box a lot of crap got through that fender somehow into the air box. bugs, bits of leaves, lots of dirt, ect...

Thats a good point as well. With my filter sucking air from the fender i'm constantly having to clean leaves off the filter.

Back