• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Just Installed SSBC Brake Kit

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Ok, so my Stock Rotors were Warped since 5k Miles on my Truck (now have 23k) and the Pads were Wearing unevenly. When I had to get on the Brakes before the SSBC Kit, the Truck would Shimmy from the Warped Rotors and really had a tough time slowing down.

Today I got the SSBC Kit Installed. Just the Factory Size Replacement Slotted Rotors & Hawk Pads.

Went out...Bedded the Brakes the correct way, drove for a while to cool them down, then Parked the Truck for a lil bit.

Then I went for a drive to see how they would do, and HOLYYYYYYY $HHHHHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT do these things BITE HARD. Just riding the Brakes lightly, as you would coming up to a Light, you can feel they are a lil bit better than Stock. Go just past that with the Brake Pressure like you gotta Slow Up quick, and BOOM, you're chest is in the Steering Wheel and you are STOPPED. I don't even wanna know what it's like when putting the Pedal to the Floor.

So all-in-all, if you are looking into Upgrading the Brakes on your Truck, I HIGHLY recommend the SSBC Kit.

Just curious but what did it cost and do you have any pictures?

I had a set of Baer drilled and slotted on my 2000 Grand Prix GTP since the stock brakes sucked terribly. I wanted to install brakes from a 2000-05 9C1 police package Impala since those packages are completely different, very stout, and they work...They work really well. It woulda cost too much in parts since the 9C1's ran a bigger axle to make the switch so aftermarket I went. Once they were broken in, around 200 miles, they were incredible. Talk about stopping on a dime. I know exactly what you mean when you talk about that.

I got it Direct from SSBC, it was $759, new F&R Rotors and Pads.

Attachments

• IMG00057-20081201-1624.jpg
    IMG00057-20081201-1624.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG00058-20081201-1624.jpg
    IMG00058-20081201-1624.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 18
Thats actually not bad at all. I woulda thought they would be more expensive. Maybe the drilled are substantially more, I dont know.

Just so you know, winter time will eat those up. I had a good friend with drilled and slotted on his Grand Prix and 1 winter and they were complete rust. The salt ate right through them from the inside out. Not designed for winter climates....Of course, you guys down there on LI havent seen snow since you watched us upstate get shit on every winter...):h

Or, you could move down to Florida and never worry about that again...:iagree:

Yea, we'll see how they hold up to the Winter here. I think they'll be ok.

How were those Storms down there Yesterday for you? You get hit at all?

Massive thunderstorms with torrential downpours...I love it...Hasent rained in weeks so we needed it. I'll take this tropical stuff any day of the week inplace of snow.

Yea, I saw that line of Red going across the State Yesterday. Looked like the whole State was under Tornado Watch too.

They're saying the beginning of December here is supposed to be the worst for the Snow, so we will see. They Salt the Roads here like crazy, so if the Rotors are gonna Rust up, with the amount of Salt they put down, I'm sure I'll know if they're gonna Rust by the end of the Day, the Day it Snows.

Yep, it's all Stainless.

After having a pretty decent Winter here, and having LOTS of Salt on the Road, and living right on the Water, there isn't a spec of Rust on the Rotors at all. I was just looking at them the other Day.

So I guess they are holding up just fine.

ok. i was wondering were the rust would come from if it was all stainless. i understand that there are different grades, and nothing is 100% stainless (that we can afford anyway) but i was wondering how they held up, and i guess its pretty good. thanks james. waiting on a new girl........:D:rolleyes:

Ken

Yea, they are a really good Quality, and def. worth the Money IMO. The Stopping has gotten even a lil bit better now that they are Fully Broken In.

I'm gonna get the Upgraded Calipers in a few Months along with Braided Lines. Then i'll REALLY be able to Stop on a Dime. :)

..I just put Bri up like Yesterday or the Day before. HAVE PATIENCE! ;)

so can you like, stop on a quarter right now? Haha.

iirc, some of them never made it to the front page, just straight to the album, no? trust me, im not complianing

Ken

Back