• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

IP Install & Adjustment Question

89SWB1

Recruit
Reaction score
Hey all - just finished swapping my IP out after having lots of stalling and throwing all the wrong codes. Here's my issue:

After installing the pump with transferred scribe line and making all connections, I set (did not bolt) the lower intake manifold on the heads. After all the air bled out, it started up and ran surprisingly well, quieter than it ever had with the old pump. No leaks, so feeling good. Bolted the lower and upper intake up and connected the two sensors mounted on the upper intake.

When I started it up again, the truck ran like garbage. Poor idle followed by stalling out. Threw the occaisional codes like 18, 19, 35, 54 that then cleared out. Now it is not showing any codes, but still the low idle and stalling.

I have it hooked up to ScanTech to check out the timing, numbers were running at idle 8.0/8.4/-1.36. Can anyone help with how far to move pump and which direction?

I rechecked the injection pump alignment, the ESO is pointed straighted up. I'm still scratching my head on why it ran so well bolted the upper intake back on and hooked up those two sensors.

Ideas?

Well, Alberta brings up a very good point. Make sure the pump you have is a 5068. According to the stanadyne model listing, the '94 3500 does call out a 5068 pump.

The other thought that crosses my mind at the moment, -are you sure you didn't have the coolant temp sensor unplugged when you did your initial run?

If you did, that forced the pump timing to full advance, -maybe explaining why it ran decent.

It is possible that it needs more timing, but if it's already at -1.5-ish TDCO, it should still run ok (maybe not). You could try disconnecting the coolant temp sensor on the coolant crossover and firing the thing up again to see if it cleans up and smooths out. If it does, -then it would likely want some more timing.

You'll want to move the pump toward the drivers-side to advance it, -but not much. 1mm of movement where the hash-marks are on the pump/front cover equals something like 10 degrees at the crank, -so it don't take much.

-just throwing some ideas out.

The Stanadyne tag on the original pump is labeled "DS4831 5067". There is no tag on the one I purchased from Peninsular Diesel (although I did specify the number above when ordering). Any way to identify which model?

Good idea on the ECT sensor. I know it was plugged in during both runs, but as I was lying awake last night going through this in my head, I got to wondering if one of the connectors didn't get bumped or jostled around.

The Stanadyne tag on the original pump is labeled "DS4831 5067". There is no tag on the one I purchased from Peninsular Diesel (although I did specify the number above when ordering). Any way to identify which model?

Good idea on the ECT sensor. I know it was plugged in during both runs, but as I was lying awake last night going through this in my head, I got to wondering if one of the connectors didn't get bumped or jostled around.

Shame on those guys for selling you a tagless pump, -that's BS. I'd get on the phone with them and find out why you didn't get a tag with yours.

That kind of falls into the same category as buying a vehicle, then finding out it doesn't have a VIN plate.

You certainly don't have anything to lose trying the disconnected CTS test. I'd clear all the codes, try the disconnected CTS test and see if any more codes pop up.

Yes, there is a pretty complete model number listing I just had the guys sticky. I'm not sure if the 5067 is listed on there or not, -go and have a look.

Last edited:
This one threw me! I've always thought of IP equalling Instrument Panel, and was trying to figure out how the hell that would give you problems!

Injection Pump! Ah ha!!

Back