• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Internal clutch slave cylinder

packratt

Reaction score
Pulled the unit off the trans today. Input shaft of trans looks good. The bearing does hangup some times when pulling it back towards the trans.

Should I take it back for warranty replacement?

What brand? How long has it been installed? If you can get warranty go for it. Nothing pushes a company to improve more than warranty claims. Loosing money on claims cost money and in some cases is worse than loosing a sale to competition which doesn't cost its just lost potential.

Can you tell why its hanging up? Thoughts? Could it be dirty fluid and internals a bit gummy?

Seems the clutch dust covering everything inside the bellhousing gets past the seals and into the hydraulic fluid. At least the fluid on mine turns black. I think that makes it a little sticky.

Another theory of mine is .... brake fluid attracts moisture and I think a little water in the fluid lowers lubricity which affects movement. When is the last time you changed it?

I just turkey bastered the master cylinder bowl or resivoir out on mine and it felt better with fresh fluid dot 3. But it definately could be a warm fuzzy feeling and no real difference.

on edit do you mean GM warranty?

If I recall correctly it is a LUK from Autozone.

Slave only has about 10,000 miles on it. Replaced it 12/07 when the clutch died.

Master was replaced about the same time. Replacement blew back in 9/08.

Can't see the snout of the slave cylinder when the throwout bearing is pulled back toward the trans end. It feels like something is physically hanging up.

Its fuzzy due to time but I remembered something ....

I saw slight differences in the release bearings. Really more the face of them and how they meet the pressure plate "fins or fingers or diagram". The front of it and plastic housing was different. The good one has a more rounded open mushroom type face. The bad one the pilot bearing face was recessed some or had some plastic forward of the thrust face.

What might be happening is the plastic housing spun relative to the cylinder and the springs or bearing retainer is binding or something of that nature.

Again its not clear but I think you can take the release bearing off the slave by pushing in and turning kind of like taking out an old tail light bulb. And then therere is a spring internal but can't remember exactly.

I monkeyed with it a bit and did not like how bearing housing and the spring could rotate and spin relative to the part that bolts to the transmission if the release bearing was stiff and the whole thing spun instead of the bearing spining like its suppose to with the thrust race sticking to the pressure plate fingers.

You know how old clutch forks the release bearing could spin against the fork and some release bearing had an oval center race as in not round so it wouldn't spin on the fork. Kinda along those lines of thinking. I think the non preferred release bearing mentioned above with plastic forward of the face race had more tendancy to spin the whole mechanism instead of the bearing spinning itself.

Might look at that a little closer if you can figure out what I am trying to say. I'll look to see if I have any pictures on home computer.

Forgot to finish thought.... This bad relative motion might have wore a groove and the spring or release bearing is now hanging up on a ridge or just not sliding smoothly on the slave cylinder.

Let me know what you find. It definately could be something else but that might help you find something.

Nope pictures aren't on this computer it'll take a while to try and boot up the dinasour in the garage and see if they are on that one.

Boy my memory stinks sometimes.

Look at this link and see if you can tell what I am trying to say

Rock auto link down to clutch slave. I tried to copy and paste the page I was on.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Anyway the GM one the throwout bearing is slightly different than the Wagner one.

The plastic isn't really proud of the thrust face race BUT due to the actuation the fingers of the pressure plate come awful close to the plastic ring around the metal face and those tabs don't help.

Not at first contact but when you stroke the slave cylinder and it pushes forward and the fingers move forward and fulcrum it gets pretty close due to the angle differences.

Anyway I was trying to get to take the throwout bearing off the slave and see if you see any wear on the body of the slave that the throwout bearing rides on. The tube if you will that goes over the input shaft.

I really did not like the way the whole bearing and spring could spin when and if the bearing was stiff with new grease.

the link did not work to drill down to the page I was on but will take you to rockauto.

Last edited:
No luck finding any pictures on my old computer. I must not have saved them. All I had was a picture of a luK disc split open (the typical failure). I thought I had taken a few shots of the new Luk disc, PP, and bushing side by side to old pieces.

Luk was suppose to have made changes to improve the toughness of the disc over the years but I don't remember anything all that different. Seems like the springs were slightly different ( not drastically different like the dmf). Seems the outer circle of springds did not have another spring nested inside them like the original.

Packratt have you found anything yet that might be causing the sticky motion?

Haven't had time to tear into the slave cylinder assembly. Was out of town over the weekend. Monday there was 1" of water running under the truck and last night was too muddy to F with it.

I went ahead and ordered a Brute Force throwout bearing slave cylinder combo. Brute Force is made by the same company that makes the Zoom clutches so hopefully it's quality. I could have warranted the old one but wanted to replace the throwout just in case and it was almost as expensive to buy just the throwout as it was to buy the set.

I will warranty the old one and stick it on the spare parts shelf.

Finished installing the Walbro pump and Racor filter tonight. After I get the wiring done tomorrow night I'll tear into the slave cylinder.

Pulled the slave cylinder down. Couldn't see anything obvious. It's going back for replacement as a spare.

Schiker, see you are in Pendleton. Do you know a Mark Weldon?

Nope

I grew up 39+ yrs worth in NE Columbia about 2 hours from here. Been here a little over 2 yrs. I am married with 2 kids under 2 yrs. Needless to say I don't get out much. I only know a few people so far.

Back