• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intercooler rub hole

rdean

Recruit
Reaction score
Finally got around to getting the tube off to see how bad it really was. Really not all that bad but it was there. Looking at the silicone tube that joins it to the intercooler it had a long side and a short side to the 90* elbow. I reversed it and now it clears everything just fine. I wrapped some rubber around the rub area just in case. Went through and snugged up all the clamps. Some took one full turn.

While I was at it I took off the resonator and checked it for leaks. None found. But again the clamps were not as snug as they should have been. Maybe something that needs to be checked on every oil change.

Was not thinking about pics. You mean I have to take it all apart again? On the drivers side you can't see it but reach down and slightly under. You can see if something is up against it. That is where you want to feel. Mine was not rubbed all the way through. Before things got weird on the other place some had holes you could stick a finger in.

Was not thinking about pics. You mean I have to take it all apart again? On the drivers side you can't see it but reach down and slightly under. You can see if something is up against it. That is where you want to feel. Mine was not rubbed all the way through. Before things got weird on the other place some had holes you could stick a finger in.

Ok, Thanks for the describtion, I will check mine out, I have well over 200k miles and my truck seems to lack power sometimes, so I am wondering if I have rub a hole in the intercooler tube, Thanks for the info..

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0360.jpg

Here are a few pics of where the rub comes from

Borrowed these pics from rockymtnmax. Loss of power was a complaint. I loosened the fender liner and it was not to bad getting out.

Attachments

• rub1.jpg
    rub1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 17
  • rub2.jpg
    rub2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 12
Wow talk about something dangerous! Go down a dusty road and some debris goes in the hole and in the turbo BOOM!! :eek:

I cant beleave theres not a recall on that. How many miles where on your truck? That probably doesnt get hot there. Be a good idea to zip tie a peace of rubber there.

The pics are not my truck. They are pic's of rockymtnmax's truck.

I was able to move things around a bit. Installed a Fernco rubber coupling over the rub area just to make sure. Something to keep an eye on.

Attachments

• fernco_flexible_coupling.jpg
    fernco_flexible_coupling.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 5
Yep, this has happened 2 out of the 3 LB7 I have at work. One took out the IC tube (repaired it JB Weld and sticky rubber) the second put a hole in the PS line. Add some sort of rubber pading to the IC tube where it hits the PS line to keep this from happening.

Back