• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Info Needed: Isuzu 4FB1 Diesel Motor

handcannon

Reaction score
I have been thinking about finding a small diesel motor to put into my dads' old 1973 Datsun pickup. I'm living on SS disability, a very limited income, and the fuel prices have really been hurting me. Dads' pickup needs a motor and in the past three years I have become very interested in diesel rigs. The pickup has been setting for probably close to five years now with a bad motor, but the body is in reasonably good shape for the age, no rust.

Recently I've been watching craigslist for a VW diesel motor, but they are hard to find. Saturdays listing had one for an Isuzu 4FB1 motor. After some searching I found the 4FB1 was used in the 1981 - 1986 Chevy Chevette, 1979 - 1987 Isuzu Gemini/I-Mark and the Australian Holden version of that car. It has a bore x stroke of 84mm x 82mm, displacement of 1817cc (110.9 cu in), 51 hp and 72 ft-lb torque, and is a SOHC 8V indirect injected motor (glowplugs).

My computer internet skills are not real strong, but from what I did find by searching it appears to have been a good reliable motor. I would like to know your experiences with this motor. I also need info on any places that might have adapters that would bolt it up to the Nissan tranny, or maybe a Toyota or some other easily located tranny.

What it all comes down to is I need info on the motor and if there is enough aftermarket support to make it worthwhile to check it out.

Don

I don't know anything about them but would assume it's the same motor Isuzu had in their small pickup. I remember a couple guys that had them and they got terrific mileage.

My parents has a buick with that engine when i was a kid. They said theirs smoked like a train and couldnt get out of its own way BUT it got great milage, I'm sure with some tuning help from the local diesel geeks it would be a real nice set up.

It was supposed to be a very overbuilt engine = strong. I ran into some vids on utube a few months back. Do a search there.

I test drove an Isuzu I-Mark the year they came to the USA.
I was suprized at how quiet, quick, and clean it ran.
As I recall, Isuzu had years of experience with industrial diesels.

There's an outfit in the Northeast since the 1920's that works on industrial motors.
Mack Boring says,
"Isuzu diesel engines are quite possibly the longest lasting diesel engines in the marketplace. With numerous equipment owners experiencing 20,000, 30,000 - even 40,000 hours before engine overhaul, there is substance behind the Isuzu Motors Ltd. Corporate Vision: "Isuzu Will Always Mean the Best".

BTW, I don't sell Isuzu's :coolgleamA:

Thanks for the link Leroy. Some of those vids I saw when doing my search, but several that were there I had not seen.

I think this motor is worth checking out, just need to decide what I'll do for a tranny if I get this motor.

Don

Back