• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

i think it's dieing....

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
Reaction score
the burb is blowin' fluid out the filler tube......it's not runnin' hot 160f to 180f......doesn't do it all the time.....sometime when it idiein' and sometimes when i shut it off.....it slips when you first take off when cold.....then when warm it after you stop and shut it off then start it and go again it slips for the first few feet then hooks up fine the shifts and goes as normal....

where do i start...fuild/filter change?

changing fluid and filter may help some what,chances are you got dirt plugging bores.
You prob better of to do a rebuild,brown fluid points to overheating and burned clutches.

Fluid out the filler tube? Is the trans at the proper level? Overfilled will foam the oil in the geartrain and raise the level via foam till it overflows. Is the vent line plugged? Hard to see as it is on top of the trans and goes to the back of the engine.
I would check the fluid - oil sample- to see if you have a pinhole leak in the radiator oil cooler.

Does the computer have any codes in it?

Auto trans are NOT designed to slip at all. Pushing one that is slipping for more than a few seconds is doing damage. There is no heat sink for the heat generated when slipping like a big flywheel has for a MT clutch. The heat burns or boils the ATF and then will blue the friction steels. Low pressure from pump or wiring problems can cause the slip. Most of the time you don't notice till the damage is done and it really slips.

At this point a fluid change is putting off damage already done. Find a re builder who can rebuild your unit for around $1000. - The going rate at a shop out here installed + hard parts.

it's comin' out the top of the tube....seal is fine.....no codes......it was never over filled........just started 2 days ago all was fine before....last heavy tow was over 4 months ago!! .....i guess with 230k+ on it just must be time for it to go.....

Back