• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I am getting pop up ads and new tabs while on TTS. I am running Norton Security Deluxe

schiker

Reaction score
I am getting some annoying issues using my computer. I am getting ads and new tabs opening when I try to click on threads. I am getting asked for push notices from The Truck Stop.

I installed Norton Security Deluxe and ran their Power Eraser program. Norton security says I am up to date and no threats detected.

Should I uninstall it and try a different brand Malware cleaner. Suggestions.

Hi @schiker .. the push notifications at the bottom where it asks you if you want to enable them is correct, as it's a pretty cool feature. As far as the ads, and new tabs.. I can't say I understand whats happening.

I would start by clearing your browser cache and cookies and then log back into the forum and give it a shot.

I am not that computer savy. I deleted temp files and some extensions. I think the extension were the problem. Not sure where some had come from. Rebooted then ran a Norton scan a few issues were resolved. Seems to have resolved

Norton is the biggest piece of shit in the same pile as McAfee's consumer... If you have any pictures, documents, etc. copy them to a USB drive or two. It's easier to nuke and pave than get Norton out of the way

AND

deal with the ad virus your computer has on it. Called adware, malware: it's the PC (political krap) way to say "Virus".

Spybot search and destroy is one tool to use. Free Edition or later get the whole thing. Trend Micro has a free scan tool that kicks virus ass. New toolbar in your Web browser? That can cause it.

Trick is Not to buy anything off your PC till it's cured.

Be interesting to see how the ad virus handles the following web site previews...

Norton is like using ether to start a 6.5 without disabling the glow plugs. McAfee is tossing a worm clamp down the intake ports in the head.

Last edited:
I'm always fixing the wife's computer, once I couldn't get any anti virus to work until I used R Kill.

Chome box is a good option for some. Just internet: use it. None of the complexity of MS Windows. No MS Office and limited to Google cloud storage. Screw it up and you do a recovery and back to cloud. No data on it as it's all cloud.

Back