• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to Swap Mirrors 03-07

durallymax

Reaction score
This thread is a simple guide to swapping mirrors on 03-07 trucks. More specifically 06-07 Big Ford style camper mirrors.

Some steps of the process will vary based on year and optional features.

The whole install takes a beginner less than an hour. After your first set it takes less than 15 minutes.

I am sorry but I dont not have the pictures uploaded yet. But make no mistake I will post them up as soon as possible.

Me reccomended place to get mirrors is PartsZoneOnline - Your Source for Genuine*GM and Mopar Parts. Otherwise known as P&G Chevrolet. They have the best prices. WHile GM Parts directs prices are lower, their shipping is outrageous.

I have ordered 9 sets of BIG mirrors from them. They are $437 shipped for both of the fully loaded ones.

Tools:

9/32 Socket/Nutdriver
10mm Socket
Thin Blade Flathead screwdriver.
Phillips screwdriver.

Heres the rundown step to step.

1. Remove the Manual Lock lever. To do this pry it out by inserting the blade of the screwdriver on the door jamb side of the lock.

2. Remove the Mirror bolt access cover. Simply give it a tug at the top and pull towards you. Then pull it up slightly.

3. Remove foam. No explanation needed.

4. Remove Door handle bezel. Start by prying up on the door jamb side of it, then with some tugging and more prying it will be free. Once free you will need to finess the handle and the bezel to slide it off.

5. Remove courtesy light. Pry out the door jamb side first. Then it should slide out. Dont get too carried away pulling it out though. Once it is released, disconnect the power source for it. If you get too carried away the bulb will fall out. No big deal it just takes some time to get it all back together.

6. Remove the 9/32 screw where the door lock was.

7. Remove 9/32 screw from behind grab bar.

8. Remove 9/32 screw from bottom of door. This screw is located directly in the middle of the bottom of the door. It is actually in a sense underneath the door. THis one can be a pain to put back in. Ive found it isnt going to hurt anything if you cant get it back in.

THE FOLLOWING IS FOR 04-07 TRUCKS ONLY.

A. Remove the 1" round plastic cap from the jamb side of the door. It just prys off.

B. Underneath is will be a long phillips screw, remove that as well.

C. On the hinge side of the door there is another 1" round looking cap. However this is not a cap with a screw under it. This is a push in plastic thingy. Its ribbed and isnt meant to come out. Ive found that it is much easier to remove this once the door panel is free. Once the panel is free simply grab the door panel surrounding it. Then give it a good tug. It will come loose.

Continued for all trucks....

9. Now the door panel actually needs to be removed. To do so, grab the grab handle and yank straight up. The panel needs to go up about 3 inches before it is free and you can pull it towards you.

10. Disconnect all connections. There are a few connectors that go into the window switch/lock/mirror console. It all depends on the trim package. Disconnect all of them to lower the chance of damaging any of them. You can now set the door panel aside.

11. Free the wires of the door. This is tricky and takes some patience. There are 2 or 3 white plastic holders that are pushed into the door and taped to the wires, these need some pursuasion to get out. It may also be helpful to peel back the plastic barrier, but it doesnt like to stick back on.

12. Loosen all three of the 10mm nuts that hold the mirror on. You may want to have a buddy hold the mirror or leave the top nut slightly threaded on so the mirror doesnt drop incase the plastic snaps dont hold it. Try not to drop these Either, unless you have small hands.

13. All that is needed now to release the mirror is to push in the 2-4 plastic snaps that hold the mirror in the 1.5" hole. Then slid the mirror out and fish the wires out.

There you have it. To put it back together repeat. The new mirrors are plug and play

Some other notes are:

Do not worry about messing up the connectors when plugging them back in, its idiot proof they each have their own hole and none of them will fit in each others hole.

If you do not already have the power extend/fold feature on your truck, you will not be able to use this feature if you install a set of mirrors with the feature. To tell if you do simply look at the top of the adjustement switch, if it lights up orange at night with a picture of a mirror on it you have the feature.

Thats all for now folks. Ill add more if needed. I wrote this entirely off the top of my head without looking at a truck or pictures. Ive done 12 mirror installs so its kind of second nature.

01-02 Install to come.

WANTED

I need somebody who has an 04-07 truck to take pictures of the two pieces that are specific to these model year trucks. We dont have any around here. You dont need to remove the door just take the pics. PM me if you have them and then you can email them too me and I will put them up.

Thanks.

Any questions PM me.

Back