• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to make a pmd extension cable

wlrdlr49

Reaction score
Hi,can the wires to the pmd be cut and extension wires be soldered in between ?

Absolutely! Just make sure you solder and use shrink tube to seal the connections. Try and use the same guage wire, or one size heavier. Use colour coded if you can. I did it, and it works great. Cost me about 15 bucks.
Good luck.

I made mine as well. I used 14/6 trailer wire it is already sheathed in a rubber cover. Be careful to not mix up the red and black wires when you do it. The 14/6 wire is all color coded on each lead. I cut the wires one at a time and soldered the wires at the IP as I cut them. Them matched the colors to the lettered pin positions on the end that plugs into the PMD/FSD. Works great.

Here is a great thread about wiring. it's worth a read.

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=4357

WARNING!! I was told when I made my extension to NOT splice and alter the black ground wire in any way. If you do you change the resistence in the wire and apperently it screws something up. Maybe someone here who knows more about it can elaborate?
Either way, I also made my own harness and it works great.

your right about the short ground wire, reason being is the size of the wire and length of it. you lose electricity in the length of wire, no surprise there thats why longer wires are usually a larger guage to counteract that. basicly:

start --------------------------------------------- end
-big wire lots of electricity ----------------------- big wire less electricity
-little wire not much electricity ------------------- little wire almost no electricity

extremely crude but should get the basic idea across. the pmd ground wire is very small diameter to begin with, to lengthen it would cause more electricity to be lost because of the resistance in the additional wire, making almost no electricity reach the pmd ground. easy fix though, there is a battery ground cable within reach of the stock pmd ground wire, its located at the thermostat housing at the front of the motor, towards the driver side. connect the pmd ground wire there and your set.

I made one a couple years back, soldered and shrink wrapped it. The end by the intake was very close to the metal of the intake itself and eventually the heat, or the heat/cooling cycle broke down the solder and the connections began to fail this summer. Figured it out and repaired one, then the next one looked bad so I did them all. Then had some kind of wierd problem and couldn't get power from a couple wires, almost like they broke somewhere under the intake. So I had to trace them back to the firewall and splice into them there. So now it's pretty hack, need to get around to making a whoile new harness so I can get my new pmd out under the bumper, because this harness won't reach.

The plugs that some current vendors are using are availible at Casper Electronics for $14.95

FSD male connector (410015) is available individually and includes the six male terminals. Item cannot be purchased over the website (casperelectronics.com), but can be ordered via phone at (847) 247-0484

Haven't gotten one yet but it's on the list.

Back