• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How long is too long????

doughboy18718

Diesel Retard!
Reaction score
How long is too long to leave the truck hooked up to the engine heater, or is there even a time limit? Just curious since its getting cold here and i'm new to the 6.5's.

Thanks guys!!!!

I plug mine in when I come in for the night, so 8 or 10 hours sometimes.. been doing that for years with no problems :)

no real time limit, it gets to the point where you are just wasting electricity, since the block will reach its max attainable temp, and the heater will just work to keep that temp while the block bleeds it away.

I got a heavy duty outdoor timer on mine. bought it at the hardware store it was less than $10.00. i set it for 3:00 am about 3 hours before I leave that way I'm not wasting the electricity to run it all night. I also went with a larger 12 gauge extension cord. The truck has been warm every time i have cranked it.

:iagree: My timer starts at 3:00am also seems like 3 hrs does a good enough job to melt the frost on the windshield just above the vents.

Mine's plugged in pretty much every minute I'm not using it from Nov-March. Never bought a timer...what if it fails? I may try one sometime.

I recycle everything I can, so my footprint on the environment ain't so bad. I really don't care what the cost is of keeping my old truck warm.

When I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska I left my truck plugged in for 30 days straight while I was home on leave. It did not mess anything up, she started right up! I dont think their is a max time limit on leaving it plugged in.

I turn on the switch that truck is plugged into about an hour to 2 hours before I leave, Enough to give it quick cranks and little smoke at startup, still loud, and not even close to melting snow/ice warm.

I have found that 3+ hours is the best for me. The truck starts fine and the defroster is beginning to work with the 3 hour warm up. like I stated before mine is on a HD timer and is set for 3 to 3 1/2 hours before I leave in the morning. this morning I noticed that the snow was beginning to melt on the windshield as soon as it was started.

Back