• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How is the Intergrated Brake Controler on the '07+?

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
I might be looking at upgrading to an '08 2500HD Duramax soon (really tough to pass up with some of the deals out there now, some are $15k off) and was wondering how that intergrated brake controller they put in the NBS Silverado/Sierra's is working. Is it as good as the Prodigy? I remember hearing a few problems of some electrical issues in a few '07's but wanted to hear first hand from guys that are using them as I am sure that anyone at the dealership will tell me whatever I want to hear. BTW, I am pulling a 24' camper (~5000lbs dry) and will soon be getting something a little larger as we need the room, maybe one 28-30'.

Once I got rid of the stupid DIC msg telling me to check it, all was good. I think you'll be very happy w/a LMM.

Use it

I have a 2008 GMC D/A and tow a Travel Trailer with it,
after doing the trailer jerk for the last 6 years with a add
on brake controller I can tell you it's real smooth and nice.
I like the message on the DIC. I had the electrical cord
on the trailer pull loose from my old truck twice and both
times didn't notice it for quite a while. The DIC message
would have told me right away.
It was one of the two items I had to have on my new
truck when I was shopping for a new one.

GM had some major problems with the integrated trailer brake controller during '07. I never heard if they had been fixed for good. One thing is that the GM brake controller Will NOT work with electric-over-hydraulic brakes.

Attached is a copy of the TSB for installing and aftermarket brake controller, because the ITBC is NOT compatible with Electric/Hydraulic brakes. Once you install the aftermarket unit, the factory brake controller will no longer work.

I remember reading a lot of postings last year about other problems with the GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller on '07+ NBS trucks where the trailer brakes woudln't work and GM couldn't fix it. I even read a TSB where GM was saying that they didn't have a fix for that problem. Hopefully, they have found and corrected the problem by now, but I would check it out before I bought a truck with that option.

For the money I would go with the Tekonsha Prodigy or even better, their flagship, the P3 controller which IS compatible with Electric/Hydraulics.

Attachments

• Installation of Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller in Lieu of Integrated Trailer Brake Control.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
GM had some major problems with the integrated trailer brake controller during '07. I never heard if they had been fixed for good. One thing is that the GM brake controller Will NOT work with electric-over-hydraulic brakes.

Attached is a copy of the TSB for installing and aftermarket brake controller, because the ITBC is NOT compatible with Electric/Hydraulic brakes. Once you install the aftermarket unit, the factory brake controller will no longer work.

I remember reading a lot of postings last year about other problems with the GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller on '07+ NBS trucks where the trailer brakes woudln't work and GM couldn't fix it. I even read a TSB where GM was saying that they didn't have a fix for that problem. Hopefully, they have found and corrected the problem by now, but I would check it out before I bought a truck with that option.

For the money I would go with the Tekonsha Prodigy or even better, their flagship, the P3 controller which IS compatible with Electric/Hydraulics.

That is what I have now, the Tekonsha Prodigy, and really like it and have had no problems with it. I am looking at an '08 possibly and know the '07's has some trouble with the factory brake controller and was wondering if it was something I should look forward to or if I needed to put in my Prodigy in a truck that already has it's own controler in it. I tow a 24' camper and looking for something a little bigger and want to know that I can trust the factory set up. Thanks for the info and I can tell you that I will be looking more into this if I decide to go with an '08.

Back