• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do I get a job in Agriculture or specifically Farming?

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
So...I'm kind of loving this whole custom harvesting deal out here, but I can't really see myself doing this as a career (living in a 11x40 ft trailer that is). Is there somewhere I can go to find a career in agriculture, or someone that is looking for a hard working individual that has experience in Construction, minor mechanics, and a degree in Construction Management and a willingness to learn anything and everything about agriculture? I have a resume and even can provide a cover letter and references. I love being hands on, in the field, but have quite a bit of experience with word, excel, and can learn other software. I have considered coming back for a full season of custom harvesting, but it really depends on what happens in December when I go home. I work on all of my own stuff back home, trucks, lawn mowers (need a bit of guidance there), house (electrical & framing are my 2 favorites), and I love to split wood. Working for this custom harvester outfit I have learned to operate a CASE 7120 combine, 245 tractor with cart, 335 tractor with cart, and manual & auto semi's with trailers. I do not have my cdl but am willing to obtain it with help.

My apologies if this doesn't belong here, but I am wondering if I am just shooting in the dark, or if there is anywhere that I can get my hands dirty, but also help out with office work as well. All my passions, hobbies, and interests point to Agriculture. Its the only job that you can wrench and operate on heavy equipment, work with crop and/or animals, put in long hard hours, and when you go to bed at night you know you've accomplished something, and from what i've gathered from farmers that love their lifestyle, no 2 days are exactly the same.

Thank you for any direction.

I would guess a mid size to a larger mixed farm would give you all that and more,or a smaller feedlot(up to 10.000 hd) would do as well.There's always a variety of things going on on these places. It prob gives you the broadest form of education possible in grain farming,animal husbandry,machinery operater.wrenching,welding and building repair you'll ever find.If you're lucky they'll even have a house on the place for ye.

I would stay away from pigs ,chickens and dairy,and from the realy big farms with lots of employees as you'll be just a grunt there.

Just keep your eye out and ask on your travels across the country,there's bound to be a guy looking for some one like you.

My 2c

Check out the help wanted listings in the High Plains Journal. There's lots of people looking for exactly what you can offer.

The large agri-business companies can certainly provide opportunity for you also. You'll be a grunt for a while, but people who work hard, show up every day, and who might be willing to move around a little can work their way up. I've seen lots of people who've done it.

Back