• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hot Shots & Hot Shotting

should have scrapped the sticker... IMO he was asking for the ticket by leaving an expired ifta sticker on the truck.. dot was probly thinkng easy ticket at least i would be in his shoes.

Yeah, but it just proved the point about DOT and their lack of knowledge of things they are supposed to enforce. As a CMV driver, you are guilty until proven innocent. The DOT is one of the only law enforcement agencies that has to have no reason to pull you over, except for a "random inspection".

Yeah, but it just proved the point about DOT and their lack of knowledge of things they are supposed to enforce. As a CMV driver, you are guilty until proven innocent. The DOT is one of the only law enforcement agencies that has to have no reason to pull you over, except for a "random inspection".

One reason a pickup with a cargo trailer or RV, although signed, is sometimes "flying under the radar". I avoid rest areas as these are DOT checkpoints for random inspections - rather use a restaurant etc. Also in a weigh station someone is usually overweight in a 18 wheeler or having other issues and they don't want to bother with a pickup. If they are bored - loose lips sink ships. We got a bonus for passing a rest area DOT inspection and a DOT sticker good for awhile to avoid re-inspection. (I forget the exact sticker details. But I do recall a long lecture over log books being up to date even though you are allowed to be like an hour behind or so on the log. I mean we are logging the stop we are making just now...)

One reason a pickup with a cargo trailer or RV, although signed, is sometimes "flying under the radar". I avoid rest areas as these are DOT checkpoints for random inspections - rather use a restaurant etc. Also in a weigh station someone is usually overweight in a 18 wheeler or having other issues and they don't want to bother with a pickup. If they are bored - loose lips sink ships. We got a bonus for passing a rest area DOT inspection and a DOT sticker good for awhile to avoid re-inspection. (I forget the exact sticker details. But I do recall a long lecture over log books being up to date even though you are allowed to be like an hour behind or so on the log. I mean we are logging the stop we are making just now...)

I see it the other way, DOT thinks they have found a new cash cow in PU drivers because they think they may be easier to catch for off the wall things experienced truckers would know about. That's why I have magnetic stickers for company name and DOT number and after I am unloaded, I take them off. I am no longer under dispatch, I am not getting paid for the return miles if I am empty and it is my personal truck. I might have to fight it if i even get pulled over, but I have yet to get pulled when doing this in over 2 years and when I had my box truck they pulled me in every couple of months to harass me.

I see it the other way, DOT thinks they have found a new cash cow in PU drivers because they think they may be easier to catch for off the wall things experienced truckers would know about. That's why I have magnetic stickers for company name and DOT number and after I am unloaded, I take them off. I am no longer under dispatch, I am not getting paid for the return miles if I am empty and it is my personal truck. I might have to fight it if i even get pulled over, but I have yet to get pulled when doing this in over 2 years and when I had my box truck they pulled me in every couple of months to harass me.

do you log it? ie drop a load off dead head 50 mile pick up another load...

Yes, you log it. How else do you pass a logbook audit with start stop locations and miles traveled with time. Go over 65 MPH and the DOT smells something. Over 75MPH by miles traveled and time driving and you in big trouble. Speeding or false logbook... Every load had a BOL and number...

Yes I log it, even the return trip when I am technically not on-duty, just because that makes it easier if the DOT ever audits the company I work for. Many trips I have went from a delivery to our hunting club. I am released from dispatch ( meaning I could whereever I want and do whatever I want) after I deliver as usually I don't have backload, but I still log it because the DOT after the fact probably would not believe me.

Back