• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Horse trailers catching fire?

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of horse trailers catching fire from the floors over heating on aluminum trailers or any type for that matter from the heat of the road? Or how about not using trailer brakes because its not safe for the horses? Just curious to see what yall have to say about some of the things I hear people say at the horse shows that these women say :rolleyes5:

We have had a trailer cath fire, in the living quarters in western KS. Not sure what happened, my sister got all the horses out then pulled the pin on her turn over ball jacked the trailer up a bit and went like hell to get the truck out from under it. She did pretty good for a girl.

Has anyone ever heard of horse trailers catching fire from the floors over heating on aluminum trailers or any type for that matter from the heat of the road? Or how about not using trailer brakes because its not safe for the horses? Just curious to see what yall have to say about some of the things I hear people say at the horse shows that these women say :rolleyes5:

are they blonde? ):h

Yeah I've heard that crap. One time I wouldn't let a lady leave the farm until she got a brake module in her truck. She was pissed because she would be late for a show but she had one of my horses in there with hers. She wound up getting somebody else to hook it to their truck.

Hmmm, let's not teach our kids physics in school anymore. Just hold hands and talk about our feelings.

Bunch of CRAP. Trailers catch fire when the brakes stick and start dragging the pads against the drum. Happens because trailers don't get used as much as the tow vehicle so the components rust. The magnet is strong enough to engage the brakes, but the springs to return the arm back to neutral aren't strong enough.

No brakes on a horse trailer is a good way to overheat the tow vehicle brakes. Then you're in real trouble.

Definitely need trailer brakes. Actually better, since there's no jerking of the trailer on the hitch, just smooth deceleration. I'd say never run w/o trailer brakes, but our flatbed doesn't......

Hmmm, let's not teach our kids physics in school anymore. Just hold hands and talk about our feelings.

Bunch of CRAP. Trailers catch fire when the brakes stick and start dragging the pads against the drum. Happens because trailers don't get used as much as the tow vehicle so the components rust. The magnet is strong enough to engage the brakes, but the springs to return the arm back to neutral aren't strong enough.

No brakes on a horse trailer is a good way to overheat the tow vehicle brakes. Then you're in real trouble.

I would have to agree, trailers might catch on fire from over heated brakes. Most of us would realize that they were hanging up before it caught on fire.

Justin, please don't take offense to this but some of those horse women are crazy as hell. I worked for a trailer manufacturer for a while and the hardest customers to please were the horse women.

True story, lady comes in one day and orders a trailer. She says that she has to have a ramp to load, that her horse's would not step up in a trailer she had to have a ramp to get them to load. Problem was the ramp cost an extra $1000. She could not afford it. So we go round and round about her horse's big able to step up in a trailer with low profile axles. Finally I ask her what kind of horse's she has. She smiles and says hunter jumpers, this puzzles me, so I say "your horses can jump a 5 foot fence but they can't step up in a trailer 10 inches of the ground. To say the least she had never thought of that.

I would not put much faith in what some of them have to say.):h

I suppose they could also overheat the wheel bearings if they aren't re-greased every couple years.

One of my "jobs" when I was a kid was to back up all the horse trailers at our horse club events. Not to sound sexist, but the mothers taking their daughters to these shows would just drive into areas without scoping things out. Then at the end of the day no one could leave because no one knew how to back up a trailer. I found it funny that a kid who couldn't have a drivers license was needed to "drive" these truck/trailer units to a position where the licensed driver could then take over. I never had to do it if a dad was driving.

I also see way to many people not take care of their horse trailers. Never clean the crap off the floor, then wonder why the floor is rotten.

My '85 Circle J 24 foot bumper pull still has the original wood flooring. Not a darn thing wrong with the wood either. Swept and hosed out after every use.

Ive had trailer brakes catch fire from a stuck tandem brake, after going down a 6 mile 6% grade. All my floors are lumber, so I wouldnt care. Otherwise, i would say tell the woman to go do some crafts, and youll stick to your heavy haulin.

Back