• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hitch Condition/Refurbishing

Why don't you take a couple of pics if time Pepp. I pretty much know what I want to do with that but some perspective would be good. I sold the stock hitch to a guy on DP many moons ago so I don't have that bracket.
Thanks

I believe it is the only 2 inch receiver on the market over 15K (I believe it is 16K trailer, 1600 tounge, havent seen a stinger rated that high, except for B&W's complimentary line of stingers rated for use with the big hitch! so as I earn some $, my plan is my 2500s will get OEM, and 3500 and 3500HD will get B&W as far a receivers, and the 2500s will get B&W turnover balls. have to home-make frame mounted goosenecks for chassis cabs, gonna copy the one off of dad's 1990 chassis cab chevy.

You should check out Drawtite's stingers. They sell solid shank 2" that are rated for 15k and 1.5k tounge. I have one for my 99.

My 99 runs a the stock Reese style 3" crossbar 2" receiver. The Stinger is a galvanized extended Drawtite solid shank rated for 15k trailer and 1.5k tongue with 2 5/16" ball rated for the same. The reason I bought the extended hitch was so I could still open the tailgate on the truck while towing the trailer. I also have a more common powder coated 6k stinger with 2" ball for lighter duty.
2011-05-26_18-03-57_740.jpg

IMG_20110330_114223.jpg

IMG_20110307_162845.jpg

The 88 has a custom 2" crossbar drop center 2" receiver moved up and behind the bumper. It's stronger now than it was when it was a stock 10k receiver. The stinger is a 10" aluminum Andersen Rapid Hitch rated for 8k/10k trailer and 800lb/1k tongue with 2" and 2 5/16" balls respectively.
0718091639.jpg

0810090615a.jpg

Mike: I put on the "roll on" Hercules type paint on my Putnam Hitch, and it has stood up very well. I put on 2 coats after scraping off the flake from the powder coat. The hitch is still very strong. You might want to look into just refinishing what you got for now. The stuff is pretty inexpensive from Wallymart.

I had several hitches and pins stolen before I started using a grade 8, 5/8 bolt, double nutted.

Iwas surprised at how badly the receivers can rot from the inside out if not maintained. They can get pretty thin

I was in the market for a hitch as well, after someone rear ended my truck with the open trailer attached. Looked and narrowed it down to a Curt 15108 or 15521. I tried to find the differences and except for weight rating, I went with the 15108. 12K should be plenty. The 15521 took up some space in the spare tire area and decided to play it safe. Hope it works out well.

Reese and Curt works for me. I love this site. ww.hitchanything.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
We've all seen how crappy the hitches can get back there where all the road crap beats them up and especially us salt belt guys. It's not only unsightly but it can be dangerous. Many of us just did not trust the factory hitch and bought replacements. So I'll start this discussion with a partial look at how nasty my Putnam has become. I'm due to pull the whole hitch assembly down for a total strip, inspect, prime and paint. I'll bet there's several opinions out there as we really get into the heavy towing season. What's the condition of your hitch?

The rest is just as nasty as this:eek:
5 years of northern, salty winters.:nonod:
View attachment 25723
I wish mine looked only half as good!.
I hardly use mine anyway, i prefer goose neck ball hitches,i got an hidden hitch in the bed.

Back