• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High Idle

HighSierra86

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did a quick search on this but didnt come up with anything. I was wondering if anyone has rigged up a high idle for the 6.2

We are starting our christmas tree season (deliver almost 800 trees between 3 trucks) and ive been doing some tuneups and PM on my rig for the season - an 89' 3500 6.2 rack body. This is the old body style. Anyways it got me tinkering trying to put something together for a high idle in the mornings. So i was just curious to see if anyone has done anything like this, and how it works.

Thanks, Nick

My van has a factory cold high idle stepper motor, I can set the idle where i want it, then after 10 mins, it gets warm enough to use the regular idle screw.

The only way I'm aware of is if it has the outside plunger/sol for the a/c high idle you cn wire a switch to that.

The truck does have the plunger/sol. There is a single green wire to it, im assuming just needs power source to activate? Should it be tapped into right before the solenoid, or before the single slide terminal connector on the RH side of the IP?

The truck does have the plunger/sol. There is a single green wire to it, im assuming just needs power source to activate? Should it be tapped into right before the solenoid, or before the single slide terminal connector on the RH side of the IP?

Mine is run off a coolant sensor in the right head.

Guess you could just a switch hooked up to power and you can turn up your idle anytime you want.

Well i tried running a power wire to the solenoid and ive got nothing. No click or anything. Id have to venture that it's no good. I guess ill see if I can find another in the junkyard.

mine workes when i put power to it but it dosent have enough power to move the throttle lever on ip but if i rev the motor a little it stays at the higher idle around 1000 normal is btwn 800-900 rpm

I would just get a choke cable and rig it up on the go pedal.

Then you can have any high idle you want.

You can manually power the high idle solenoid. It works like a ratchet. You need to turn the switch on and pump the throttle and it will hold the throttle open a bit further than usual. It is not as easy as you think, however, because the Cold start advance solenoid shares the circuit with the high idle solenoid and you would need to put in a relay so that when you manually activate the high idle, it will not power the cold start advance.

Is the solenoid base or housing grounded?

Both the solenoid housing and the actual plunger are grounded.

I held the throttle linkage away from the plunger and ran a jumper wire from the posative post on the battery. I didnt get a click or any movement at all out of the solenoid. So Im gonna have to say that its no good.

Im not too worried about having anything work automaticaly ie. cold start / high idle , so i will probably just run the solonoid as its own circut with a switch.

Back