• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HID Sticky

496 BB

Gasoline Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok heres the info that has been compiled over the years. This is an original write up for you lurkers over here :nono:

General

- Low bulbs size - 9006 (NBS 2007.5+ are H11)

- High bulbs size - 9005 (High beams not really needed unless your out in country roads with them being on for awhile at a time)(NBS 2007.5+ are 9005 XS)

- Use HIRs if you can find them for your high beams on Classic Styles

- Pre '03 fog lamps - 880

- '03 and after classic fogs - 9145 (also known as H-10)

- 2007.5+ (NBS) fogs - See here. These are H16 or 5202 and SOME places do make these sizes now.

- Most aftermarket sets are pretty much plug and play minus switching 2 wires on supplied harnesses for the polarity sensitive bulbs. To do so just use the supplied harness and cut in half and wire the red wire to the black wire and vice versa. Then make proper connections and seal.

- 2007.5+ trucks all you need to do to install the bulbs is remove the battery on one side and air filter box on other. No need to remove entire light assembly as it is time consuming. Depending on your setup though you may have to do that regardless.

- AIM YOUR LIGHT AFTER YOUR INSTALL. You dont need to blind everyone and you might as well make your HID's work at their optimum peak.

- To disable your Daytime Running Lights pull the fuse in the fuse panel either in the engine compartment or in the cab. If your type does not work this way then use the resistor type method (Do a search).

Colors

4300k - Pure White. Little to no blue Color at all (Brightest available)

5000k - White with Slight Hints of Blue (Best overall blueish tint color)

6000k - Light Purple / Blue

8000k - Light Blue / Sky Blue. Getting Bluer

10000k - Dark Deep Blue

12000k - Dark Purple / BlackLight Purple

20000k - VERY Deep Blue

30000k - Bubble Gum Pink

-----------------------------------------------

So basically 4300K is the brightest white your going to get like OEM Infiniti's ect. 5000K is slightly less lumens (~200 lumens) (light output) but has slight tint of blueish/purple and so on. As you go numerically higher in the Kelvin scale you are decreasing light output but adding more color. A good choice is the 4300K - 6000K. When using a 6000K you are loosing 20% output compared to a 4300K so anymore and you get the picture.

Wattage on Ballast

35W - OEM wattage and most popular. Provides more than enough light for daily driving and superior to halogens.

50-55W - Will color wash bulb colors so that a 5000K or 6000K will indeed look like a 4300K. If lights not properly aligned it WILL blind other drivers coming towards you in traffic.

Wiring Harness

It is recommended to use a wiring harness WITH a relay on all applications but is not required unless you are getting a 55W kit and then its highly advisable. Many have used 35W kits with no relay and many have used them that need a relay so choice is yours. If you install them and they are not firing this could be the cause.

HID Companies

Yes the million dollar question...who sells good HID kits for a great price . Well this is the hard part as you get what you pay for. There is some good kits out there for sure but everyone has an opinion on certain companies.

I CAN however tell you what companies to NOT buy from. Pm me for more details. OR if its OK with the mods we can start a list of companies that are known scammers and sell less than average product.

2011+ Bulb Numbers:

Low Beam: H11
High Beam: 9005
Fog Light: 5202

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI for you guys.... I just installed a set of VVME in my friends Colorado in a 5000K color and its not even close to what my previous 5000K's were when I was running them. Its more of a 4300K if you ask me. If you want the slightest tint of blue but not dumb looking then Id go with a 6000K. Also the fogs called for 9045 or H11 (which also is H8) and Im not sure bout the Silverados but the ones they came with the bases were way to small and I had to retrofit it in there to make it right. Not cool IMO.

Just a heads up on colors ;)

Back