• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help! Brake Lines Leaking at ABS Pump

Well this only gets worse. I called in-line tube hoping they could help me source the ABS pump fitting. No go. I mention in passing that the "metric bubble flare tool" they sold me produces a flare that looks nothing like the flares that came on the brake line kit. The tech at in-line said "well the brake line kit for that model comes with a 45 degree flare, not a metric bubble flare. Are you sure that is the tool they sold you?" Yes.

Great, they sold me an incorrect flaring tool which undoubtedly created flares that screwed up the fitting on my pump. They can't take back the flaring tool because I used it. They are going to give me a new brake line. Anyone want to buy a metric bubble flaring tool used 2x? Cost me $100 shipped.

I still need to find the ABS pump fitting. Looking like boneyards are my best shot.

Meanwhile, I have lost use of the truck since before the start of this thread and I am not very happy about that.

No, not yet. By the time I figured out the pump side fitting was trashed the dealers were closed and now I'm back on the road.

Finally back home from my work engagement in Little Falls, MN. Went out to a Pick A Part boneyard in Ontario, California and found the parts. On the left is new one, on the right is the one I buggered up:

1335055196.jpg

Also got the brake line so I can do an interim fix while waiting for the replacement stainless line from in line tube. Also picke up the cover door for the garage door opener in the overhead. Total for these parts $10.31 including admission.

Well the nightmare continues. Replaced the fitting and installed used brake. Leak has stopped at the ABS pump fitting, but now it's leaking down at the union. First it was leaking on the stainlesse line side. Then after several attempts backing it off and tightening to seal it, both sides are leaking at the union. These stainless brake lines are very temperamental. They do not seal well at all and they create havoc on the softer metal of the fittings. Seal up one leak and the next weakest seal point blows. I just may have to replace them all with used lines. File this under the best laid plans. What a waste.

So, was it a case of the flare angles being wrong on the SS brake lines, or the lines being installed slightly cockeyed into the fittings that caused your initial leaking issues?

So, was it a case of the flare angles being wrong on the SS brake lines, or the lines being installed slightly cockeyed into the fittings that caused your initial leaking issues?

Lines being installed slightly cocked. Stainless being the softer metal, developed crease in the flare that ruined the seal.

Back