• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HEAVY duty trailer tire info

TANK'S 250

Black Ops Bumpers
Reaction score
I've seen alot of people asking about trailer tires over the years, load ratings, best tire, etc, etc, etc.

Here's some of the info I've compiled, and a awesome supplier.

www.easternmarine.com have load ranges all the way up to "H" 6,005lbs.

Here's a link to some normal size, heavy load tires.

When considering a trailer tire, here are a few important things to look at.

TIRE CONSTRUCTION TYPE - Bias Ply vs. Radial
TIRE APPLICATION TYPE - (ST) Special Trailer vs. (LT) Trailer
TIRE SIZE - % of section height / section width Refereed to as 'Aspect Ratio'
TIRE LOAD RANGE - Load carrying capacity and air pressure rating

::::NOTES:::

Inflation

Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.

Load Capacity:

The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight(GVWR) by 20 percent.

Speed

All "ST" & "LT" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

Time

In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

These 'Special Trailer' (ST) tires have been constructed for better high speed durability and bruise resistance under heavy loads. Trailer tire construction varies substantially from automotive tires, therefore it is essential to choose the correct tire for your towing application. In general, trailer tires have the same load range (or ply) from bead to bead and are bias ply construction. This allows for a stiffer side wall which provides safer towing by helping to reduce trailer sway problems.The use of (LT) tires offer a wide range of specialized trailer tires for heavy loads on average sized wheels. LT doesn't not mean "light truck".

The use of 'Passenger Car' (P) is not recommended for towing because their construction, they normally do not have the sidewall plys, or weight rating sufficient for trailering,...usually radial or bias belted, allows for more flexible side walls. Using a "P" tire could lead to increased trailer sway and loss of control.

This explains a lot! I had trailer tires that were 4 years old, and looked as if they were brand new as far as wear goes, but the tires were rounded in the middle of the tread, and looked like the tires broke or split the belt. They exploded shortly after. I went to the tire store, and the salesman said it was best to just replace every 4 years regardless of miles, to be safe. They were Carlisles. They gave good usage for the 4 years, but then went South very quickly!

Thanks Tank.

Nice post Tank...:thumbsup:

So many don't understand what those trailer tires can really handle. I constantly am passed by something wearing ST tires and they're flying. I just want to get away from them so they don't take me out.

We talked, we agreed, a sticky it is...
tiphat.gif

ive been using ''235/85/16-e'' lt truck tires on my 2 car 40' trailer,,trailer tires won't go 15,000 miles and lt truck tires go 40-50,000 miles ,i just got a set[6] goodyear ''g'' rated trailer tires to try,we''ll see how these are

Back